cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Differences between BE 2012 and BE 2014

Artegic
Level 6

I'm considering an upgrade from Backup Exec 2012 to Backup Exec 2014 and would like some advance information on what to prepare for. To this end, I downloaded the document

But it says: "This document describes the changes between Backup Exec 12.5/2010 and Backup Exec 2014."

Is there another document describing the changes between Backup Exec 2012 and Backup Exec 2014?

6 REPLIES 6

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

I don't think there's another docuemtn for changes between BE2012 and BE2014.. perhaps this video may give you some breif information:

What's new in Backup Exec 2014

Artegic
Level 6

Also, the Backup Exec 2014 Readme available through http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC7420 has a section "Upgrade checklist for Backup Exec 2010 and earlier", but no such section for Backup Exec 2012. What gives?

Artegic
Level 6

Videos are an extremely difficult and tedious format for getting technical information. Is that information available as readable text somewhere?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

The reason most of our information contains differences from BE 2010 R3 is that someone familiar with 2012 will be able understand things like DLM and navigate around the BE 2014 console relatively easily

But someone familiar with 2010 R3 or earlier will find that there are a lot of major differences.

The key differences from 2012 are:

• Job Monitor returns
  • Ability to add multiple servers to one job (this can be seen in more than one location as it makes options available both when creating a new job and when editing existing)
  • Backup and restore section in admin console has a lower pane displaying more detail for things like virtual agent job statuses (ad giev some restorwe functionality as wel)
  • Retired Services group - to help handle servers you don't want visible in the All Servers list (either because you do not intend to back them up, or because you were backing them up but they have now been decomissioned but you might still need the ability to redirect restore their old data.)
  • Performance enhancements (dedup and delayed catalogs)
  • Support for newer Operating Systems and Applications
  • Scheduling Changes (i.e ability to do hourly SQL log backup betwen 08:00 and 18:00 has been returned)
  • Incremental System State Backups
  • Enhancements to better handle the rename of a media server
  • Ease of push install of Agent for windows to multiple virtual systems
  • Ability to change resource order of backup selections
  • Mixed backup methods (i.e. allow the incremental of a file system backup to be the differential of a SQL backup within the same job etc)
  • The ablity to start a restore is now available in more locations in the console (Media View, Backup sets view etc)
  • Convert to virtual now has support for Incremental backups
  • Self Healing Deduplicaton (Integrity checks now automated/built in)
  • BEMCLI (more scripting commands available)

ther are however a number of more other differences, I have just listed some of the more obvious/important ones above.

Sagar_Kamat1
Level 3
Employee

To add to what Colin has mentioned, BE 2014 also has:

• GRT support for Exchange 2013
  • GRT support for SharePoint 2013
  • Backup Exec Debug Monitor replaces SGMON
  • Update to the Deduplication Engine

and more....

Artegic
Level 6

Thanks for your comments. I am well aware that BE 2014 is a big step forward and has lots of desirable new features. What I'm more concerned with is possible problems and pitfalls when upgrading from BE 2012 to BE 2014, such as

• hardware and/or software no longer supported
  • changes in system requirements
  • GUI, terminology, and handling changes
  • resulting changes to our operating procedures
  • compatibility with older agent versions (specifically BE 2012 agents)
  • upgrade procedure
  • possible problems with same
  • necessary preparations
  • downtimes of production servers (other than the media server) during the upgrade - duration, and possibility to influence or postpone the time of occurrence

I was hoping to glean some relevant information on these topics from a "changes between Backup Exec 2012 and Backup Exec 2014" document and an "Upgrade checklist for Backup Exec 2012", and I'm frankly surprised that neither exists.

I came from a different product directly to Backup Exec 2012 and I am not familiar with Backup Exec 2010 so I don't feel up to the task of filtering out from a "2010 to 2014" document the parts that would be relevant for a "2012 to 2014" scenario.