cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different size counts...

Sheena_K_
Level 4
I am running Backup Exec 12. For disaster recovery purposes we have backups that run to tape, to an offsite location and to another server for online storage. The question is what would cause 3 completely different size counts? The "tape" job has an average byte count of: 4 GB, the online: 4MB and the offsite: 3GB.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Sheena K.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Working Set- Changed today

will indeed only grab files change 00:01 or later of the current calendar day.  Even if the job starts before, but continues after midnight, I think that the files updated before midnight will be skipped, too,  but I'd have to play with it to be sure

It appears that the first job that is running is resetting the backup date so that the next job won't back that file up causing the byte count to differ.

You can can change the backup method on all but the last  to COPY and they will not reset the Archive Bit, so that the  following jobs can look at it.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Sheena_K_
Level 4
I posted this issue over a year ago and I may have figured out what is causing the different size counts, however if someone else knows what could be causing this please let me know. I suspect that the Backup Method for files being set to; "Working Set- Changed today" is the culprit. It appears that the first job that is running is resetting the backup date so that the next job won't back that file up causing the byte count to differ. I also suspect that because I have several jobs that run in the wee hours of the morning that only the files changed after midnight are being backed up, also causing the discrepancy in byte count.

If anyone else knows of another reason or different configuration to elimate this and ensure that the redundant backups are all backing up the same data please let me know.

Thanks,
Sheena K.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Working Set- Changed today

will indeed only grab files change 00:01 or later of the current calendar day.  Even if the job starts before, but continues after midnight, I think that the files updated before midnight will be skipped, too,  but I'd have to play with it to be sure

It appears that the first job that is running is resetting the backup date so that the next job won't back that file up causing the byte count to differ.

You can can change the backup method on all but the last  to COPY and they will not reset the Archive Bit, so that the  following jobs can look at it.