cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Differential Backups on Win 2K3 Server iSCSI drive behave erratically

biology
Level 3
I have BU Exec V 10.1 Rev 5629 w SP 3 installed on a Windows 2003 Standard Server w SP2. I ran a full backup, using archive bit (reset archive bit) on a 1 TB iSCSI drive attached to the server. Two days later I ran a differential, using archive bit (does not reset archive bit) using the same selection list and backed up 2 GB of data. This is the expected amount of changed data. I restarted the server that night and ran the same differential two days later. This time I stopped the backup after it had backed up over 200 GB of data. There was not 200 GB of space available on the server, so there was not 200 GB worth of new data. Does restarting the server change the archive bit or is there some other explanation/solution to this problem? Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
No, retstarting the server should not reset the Archive Bit

What kind of data is this?
Does any kind of maintenance or scan run that may reset the bit on every file? (used to be that some AV scans would reset the bit, but that has been quite  a while ago)

biology
Level 3
It is mainly laboratory data, not audio files. I run Symantec Anti Virus but it has never interfered in the past.