cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Differential always running as full backups.

CodyH
Level 2

I have a weekly full backup and daily differential backup policy that is backing up 5TB+ to tapes. The problem i am having is that even though the weekly full backup completes successfully, my differentials continue to run as if a full backup. Both jobs are the same policy and selection list.

Any ideas what im doing wrong here?

BE2010 R3

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

For VMs, are the VMs at hardware version 7 ? Any changes done at the ESX/vCenter level ?

Is CBT enabled for the VM ? This KB should help - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH129452

For NDMP backups, incremental backups are set by levels (2 to 9) under the NDMP job settings.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

VJware
Level 6

What are you backing up ? Windows machines or Linux machines ? Physical or VMs ?

Have you tried switching to modified time if using archive bit or vice-versa ?

CodyH
Level 2

Four Windows Server VMs and a NetApp using NDMP. NetApp where the bulk of our data storage is (Fileshares ect).

I have not tried using modified time, although archive bit was working before redid the jobs after upgrading from BE2010 R1 to R3.

VJware
Level 6

For VMs, are the VMs at hardware version 7 ? Any changes done at the ESX/vCenter level ?

Is CBT enabled for the VM ? This KB should help - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH129452

For NDMP backups, incremental backups are set by levels (2 to 9) under the NDMP job settings.

lmosla
Level 6

Try recreating the selection list and job to see if that helps.  Some kind of corruption might have occurred.

also make sure the Backup Exec processes are excluded from and virus scans and that BE 2010 R3  is fully updated and patched 

CodyH
Level 2

@VJware

VMs are indeed hardware version 7, no changes were done at ESX/vCenter level. CBT is unknown as i have to shutdown the VM to check, ill do that later tonight.

"For NDMP backups, incremental backups are set by levels (2 to 9) under the NDMP job settings."

This might have been the issue. I'll switch it to level one tonight and run the differential. I'm new to BE so i'm sure i overlooked this.

@Imosla

New selection list was made and BE is updated.