cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Differential backup from a full VM backup

Bill_Clark22
Level 3

Using BackupExec 16 with vmWare and have a question regarding full server backups, differentials and virtual machines.  Can I have differential backups of the DATA portion of a server that I do a full virtual machine backup of?  Here is the scenario:

Sunday - Full backup of the entire virtual machine "Host1"; contains a c-drive and a d-drive that has a bunch of Office documents.

M-F - Differential backup of the d-drive only

Is that possible?  Does backing up the entire virtual machine reset the flags on the individual Office documents?  Or would I have to do this scenario:

Sunday - Full backup of the entire virtual machine "Host1"; contains a c-drive and a d-drive that has a bunch of Office documents

Monday - Full backup of the d-drive

Tue through Fri - Differential backup of the d-drive

Thanks!

Bill

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No.  You cannot select the backup part of a VM.  You have to backup the entire VM.

To clarify, you are saying that the first scenario is NOT possible, that if you backup the entire VM, then any differentials based off the backup will be for the whole VM, and not a specific drive of that VM?

Bill

pkh
   VIP    Certified
No both your scenarios are not possible if you want to backup your VM as a VM. You need to backup the entire VM if you want to do so