cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Differential backup issue

Phil_Hess
Level 4
I am using differential (using archive bit) backups and it appears its not backing up modified files. Here is what Im seeing. I performed a full backup on 1/16/07 and it succeeded. I then changed the backup to differential. I modified a file on 1/1707. The differential then ran that night on 1/17/07 and it succeeded. When I go to restore and choose the differential backup set.. my file that modified 1/17/07 is not there. If I go to the full set I see the file, but its before it was modified and shows the date 9/5/06. What am I doing wrong? I appreciate any help. Thank you.
11 REPLIES 11

Phil_Hess
Level 4
It appears anything new that is created is added to the differential, but anything that is modified is not. Do I need to changed the differential to use modified time instead of archive bit?

David_Sanz
Level 6
Partner
No Phil

Everytime you add a file its archive bit is set, so any incremental or differential backup should copy it.

Make sure both the full and the differential backup use the archive bit.

Phil_Hess
Level 4
The original Full backup was using the archive bit and the differential backup also using archive bit. New files were backed up, but modified files were not. Any ideas?

David_Sanz
Level 6
Partner
Modify a file and have a look at the archive bit.

Has it been cheked?

Phil_Hess
Level 4
Can you tell me exactly where to look for that? I modified a file and ran one of my scheduled differential backups manually and sure enough it backed it up. It just seems so hit or miss, but I need to make sure its working everytime.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Are you using the same selection list for both the Full and the DIFF?

For some reason it needs to be the same select list, not two lists with the same entries (at least at one point it did)

Phil_Hess
Level 4
Yes I am using the same list. Thanks for the replies, Im sticking with this method and keeping an eye on it.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
As far as manually checking the Archive Bit

From Windows Explorer, drill down 'til you find the file
Right Click\Properties\
Select Advanced
If the bit is set, it should say "Ready for Achiving"

It should stay like this until either an INCR or a FULL is run. Either will clear the bit

Phil_Hess
Level 4
Ken, thanks for all the replies on this. Another questions regarding differential backups, last night I had one that was 14GB, usually only 100mb or so. I checked the log for the C: drive and it said 0 files different, but processed 14GB. Apparently the only thing that was changed on this server was security on the C: drive, would this cause the C: to be completely backed up again?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
MMMMMMM

I guess it could

Check the Archive Bit on a file (see prior post) verify that it is not set

Change rights and check again.

Phil_Hess
Level 4
It appears it does. Went to a file in a certain directory, archive was unchecked. I then changed security on that directory and anything under it and went back to that same file and sure enough archive was checked.