cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difficulty recognizing tape

justCharlie
Level 4

The biggest problem for me now is Backup Exec does not recognized the tape. What could I have done diferent besides, eject old tape out, put new tape in, then refresh do inventory? The tape does not get recognized and when I tried to get the tape out, it won't eject. Any suggestion?
13 REPLIES 13

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited
What type of tapes and tapestreamer are you using ?

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Might be an issue with hardware , When you inser a new tape its recommended to run a quick erase on the tape ,
Try stopping the BE services and then use the physical eject button on the tape drive (if it have one )

justCharlie
Level 4

This is a HP ML350 G4 server with HP DAT72 tape. I already replaced the tape drive about 3 to 6 months ago. All the tapes are less than 3 years old.

Okay, so to press the eject button on the tape drive to eject the tape, I have to shutdown BE services. Is there a quick way shutdown BE services besides manually do it from the Administrator/Services?

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
you can click on tool--backup exec services and click restart services thats the easiest way.

justCharlie
Level 4
RahulG, okay I got that. However, I tried it and it didn't eject the tape. I had to manually pull the tape drive out and then  put it back while holding down the eject button.

So, what else could I have done differently so that everytime when put new tapes in, BE will recognized the tape?

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Well would be difficult to comment or give you any explanation on the same as the it could be because of some hardware issue ..

justCharlie
Level 4
Okay, since I pulled the tape drive out, now BE says, it's Offline. I did try to put it bac online but it comes back as Offline again. How do I resolves this?

justCharlie
Level 4

Okay, the status says "In Use". It's been about 5 minutes now. How do I get it to operate normally so I can try to see if it will recognize the tape?

Nitish_R
Level 4
Partner Accredited
stop backup exec
reset ur tape drive
start backup exec
your tape drive should be online.
a few customers have complained that NEW DAT72 tapes are not recognised when inserted into tape drives.
simple trick is to initialise and label the tape.
always do this when using new tapes.
this works :)

justCharlie
Level 4
NItish R, that is not working. I stopped all services and reseat the tape drive and it says Offline so I right click to to pick "Online" and now it says "In Use" for some time already. I have tried rebooting the server and it still kept saying "in use". Any other idea?

Nitish_R
Level 4
Partner Accredited
is there any media in the tape drive?
no need to reboot the server if its not an internal drive.
can you check the hardware status from your OS

pkh
   VIP    Certified
1) Stop all the BE services.

2) run the HP LTT tool to verify that the tape is functioning correctly.  Make sure you do the write test.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
The Drive should come online automatically when the services are restarted , if the Drive is goinf offline , Check if the Drive is detected fine in device manger, check the event log for the errors related to hardware .