cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable Exchange log truncation by BE2012

8i5
Level 2

We have 2 backup systems backing up our Exchange environment (2003). 

BE2012 does not seem to offer an option to prevent the truncation of Exchange logs. Our other (non-BE) backup system is truncating the logs so we do not want BE2012 to do it. 

Is there a setting anywhere in BE2012 to disable log truncation after backup?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

8i5
Level 2

It turns out it is quite possible to do this for exchange 2010 as it uses the vss provider. 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO23037

Now I need to know how to do this for exchange 2003 as well.....

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Any particular reason for running 2 backups of your Exchange data?

Otherwise run your 3rd party application's backup of Exchange first, and then backup the Exchange DB using BE 2012.

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

A slightly-off alternative would be running creating & running a one-time backup only...

8i5
Level 2

CraigV - it's complicated but basically the BE backup is temporary until we get some issues resolved with our primary backup solution. Running them one after the other doesn't help really as they'll both truncate the logs - not something desirable at all.

VJware - does a one-time backup not truncate logs? Is there anywhere in BE2012 to disable this option on exchange backups? It used to be possible on all previous versions of BE.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

If you perfrom differential backup with backupexec then it will not truncate the logs after the backup as like in full or incremental

So you can perfrom differential backup if you dont want Backupexec to set transaction log for truncation

But then to start with differential you should do full backup once which will truncate the logs & then start perfroming differential. but no way to disable backupexec to stop truncating the logs

Thanks

8i5
Level 2

We don't want to do differential as that makes a full restore dependent on 2 tapes. I'm really surprised that this feature has been turned off. What's the logic behind it?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...to be honest, I don't think any application will not truncate logs, unless you're going a brick-level backup (which was stopped with Exchange 2007 and upwards).

If this other application backs up Exchange and clears the logs, you're better off using that instead of 2 different vendor applications.

Or only use BE...

VJware
Level 6

Yes, in BE 2012, a one-time exchange backup is akin to a copy backup & logs are not truncated..

8i5
Level 2

It turns out it is quite possible to do this for exchange 2010 as it uses the vss provider. 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO23037

Now I need to know how to do this for exchange 2003 as well.....