Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable GRT only for specific VMs

ScottHastings
Level 3
Partner
Hi,

I have to backup a couple of VMs. On some of them I can't install the Remote agent. Either because they are Linux appliances or because firewall rules don't permit direct communication between them and the media server.

So, it is expected to get the warning V-79-57344-38726 - Backup Exec failed to connect to virtual machine 'XXX' and was unable to collect the necessary metadata to restore individual application items. You cannot perform GRT-enabled restores of application data from this backup for every of these VMs.

It seems, to suppress this annoying warning the only method would be to disable GRT globally for this backup job. This would also effect the VMs that have the agent installed and where GRT is a recommended feature.

An alternative would be to split the backup job in two - one with GRT enabled, and a second with GRT disabled and only the respective VMs selected.

I would of course prefer to have just a single backup job. Is there a method to either suppress the warning or to disable GRT just for specific VM?

Kind regards!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi Scott

Unfortunately there is NO such option which will allow you to disable GRT for a specific VM. You will have to split the backups jobs in two.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

AmolB
Hi Scott 

Trying installing remote agent manually on the Linux box, refer to http://support.veritas.com/docs/282010

For the above exception refer to http://support.veritas.com/docs/351528

ScottHastings
Level 3
Partner
Hi,

this would be a solution for a very small part of the effected VMs. On most of them root access is permitted or communication between them and the media server is blocked by intention.

Although a valueable suggestion, I'm still looking for a method where I can disable GRT on a per VM base.

Regards,
Scott

AmolB
Hi Scott

Unfortunately there is NO such option which will allow you to disable GRT for a specific VM. You will have to split the backups jobs in two.

ScottHastings
Level 3
Partner

OK, will do so! Regards, Scott

By splitting the backup jobs up it is going to make scheduling difficult... Often times I am not sure how long a job is going to take and if I split it up it is extremely difficult to make sure jobs don't run too long and cancel other jobs, but I also want to make sure jobs don't run longer than they should if they were to hang.  There really isn't any prioritization options that are helpful.  Please come up with a way to exclude Instant GRT options for specific VM's that do not support the remote Agents (i.e. XP machines or Linux boxes that we do not want the Agent installed on).  This would allow us not to have to just ignore a bunch of red text and job failure alerts and stuff in the history.  UGLY, but it works.