cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable the Verify prompt in Backup Exec 2010 - can it be done?

DilbertW01
Level 3
I have set up a number of jobs within our policies.  We do not use the Verify option.  It is unchecked in Tools / Options.  Then in the job itself, we make sure that Verify is unchecked.  However, when we modify a policy and click OK, we continue to get the annoying prompts about turning on Verify.  Is there any way to globally turn this off, so we don't get any more prompts about Verify?
10 REPLIES 10

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

NO

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi There,

Have you checked to make sure that verify is not enabled in your policy?
Open up your policy, go into a job, and look under General. If it is selected, it will still verify.

Laters.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
I think Dev T means that Symantec will only support restores if Verify is ticked...
It really does help when checking that the information on tape is valid.

DilbertW01
Level 3
I check the 4 policies that are in BE 2010.  I verified that Verify was NOT checked on any of them.  However, when I click OK, it asks four times (for eaxch policy) if I want to turn on Verify. 

If they won't support us without Verify, I have some real questions about sticking with the product.  Unfortunately, our windows of backup opportunity don't allow enough time to complete a Verify.  Sometimes we are lucky to just get the backup completed.

Any suggestions or ideas?  Thanks for all the feedback so far.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Can't propose and solution for you, but definitely sounds like something you could post to the "ideas" area of the forum.  (top menu bar, far right)

Dev_T
Level 6

Hello,

I had an experience with Symantec Tech. support while restoring. The verify option was unchecked in the Backup job and Symantec support told me that we can make BEST EFFORTS for restore but we do not support restore operation without Verify.

Symantec will only support restore if Verify is checked. I know it takes a long time for the job to complete.

Hope this helps...

Wim_Toutenhoofd
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hello Symantec!

We now have the year 2010 and LTO-drives with 4 heads:

1 writes, 2 reads back, 3 writes, 4 reads back.

So verify is done on the fly; no need to do it twice.

Even with B2D-folders there surely are other components complaining when writing to disk fails.

PLEASE remove the annoying verify-warning!

AleksejsCankovs
Not applicable
Partner Accredited

We stage backups trough Disk to narrow backup window. I don't need to verify backups, made to disk. PLEASE remove the annoying verify-warning!

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

Verify does a CRC i.e Cyclic Redundancy Check and that is a Best Practice that Symantec Recommends.

It checks the data arrived to server and data written to Tape and if it finds any discrepency or the value does not match then it reports an error about unable to verify

I am sure the other vendors would also suggest the same.

If its too much of an overhead then you can just untick it and I am sure not many times you have to get in the policy to make changes.

The question of disabling the verify option permanently can definately be posted as an enhancement request.

Just in case you are not using verify since its taking almost the same time as backup then make sure you report this situation to the Device Manufacturer. Verify should take much lesser time than Backup.

Also the only reason why support would have said not supported if verify was unticked is because it does not want the customer to get accustomed to this habit of disabling the verify since any errors due to tape drive or network or other factors which might cause a verify failure or CRC errors would not be brought to the administrators notice and hence this could land him in a disaster if he finds out that the tapes are not restorable since the Tape Controller or Tape unit was not writing correctly or maybe an Issue with read head wherin its not able to read the tape properly and during restore you might find out that the library read head it bad and then attend to 2 problem rather then resolving one.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

It checks the data arrived to server and data written to Tape

No it doesn't. 

Verify reads the data on the output media (disk or tape) computes checksums and compares them to checksums written to the media.  If they match, the verify succeeds.  Comparing disk data and backup data doesn't make much sense for an active server, does it?

Since modern tape drives have built-in "read after write", what good does verify really do on a tape backup?   Any problems show up as CRC errors in the job log.  I can see that verify on a disk based job could be useful, tho, which is what the OP was talking about