cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disaster Recovery Site for Backup Exec Dedupe Storage

nanderscw
Not applicable

Hello everyone,

I've got a little problem here I'm hoping someone can help me solve.  Theres two identical BackupExec 2014 servers, lets call them Server1 and Server2.  Server1 is onsite and Server2 is remote over a site-to-site vpn, for DR situations.  Server1 is backing up data into a dedupe volume.  I need to get the data from Server1 to Server2.  Once it gets to Server2, the data needs to remain deduped on Server2; trying to store it not deduped is not an option.  If Server1 blows up, we simply need to be able to rebuild it, whether manually or from backups, then restore all of the backups it held from Server2.

So, heres the problems.  Theres no domain trust between the sites, nor can there be, so I'm told (and have been unable to do so) that CASO/MMS is out of the question.  Also, its a lot of data, far too much to be passed raw between the sites, so incremental or dedupe only data must be passed.  The obvious answer would seem to be have each server take its own independant backups, but that idea is not an option either, unfortunately.

What would you recommend to accomplish this?  We're not looking for complete redundancy where a server can backup to either Server1 or Server2, they'll always back up to Server1.  I'm fine with getting creative in solutions here, whether its multiple backup jobs or multiple storage volumes, etc.  Any help is appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The proper way to backup a dedup folder for disaster recovery is to backup the shadow copy component of the volume that it resides on.  With this and a full backup of the media server, you can do a manual or SDR recovery of the media server at the DR site and restore the dedup folder

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The proper way to backup a dedup folder for disaster recovery is to backup the shadow copy component of the volume that it resides on.  With this and a full backup of the media server, you can do a manual or SDR recovery of the media server at the DR site and restore the dedup folder