cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disaster Recovery Wizard

Tryfon
Level 2

I would like to ask for your help on the following issue: 

I have installed in a windows 2008 r2 server standard edition the Symantec Backup Exec 2012 software and I have already updated it.

I tried to follow the backup/restore procedure described in the following link:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH180099&profileURL=https%3A%2F%2Fs...

Article:TECH180099

and at the step where I enter the server name , domain , user name and password  (as shown in figure 13) by clicking next ,  the following error occurs: Unable to establish connection with the Backup Exec server , Access denied. Within the log file the error appears as follows: 

CPageConnectToMediaServer::OnWizardNext(BackupName.DOMAIN.LOCAL, domain\BackupUser) - Entry
[0796] [11/27/2014 14:04:48]:  Error:         WNetAddConnection2() failed to connect to the BE server resource: \\BackupName.DOMAIN.LOCAL\IPC$. Error code: 1208
[0796] [11/27/2014 14:04:48]:  Error Message: An extended error has occurred.

[0796] [11/27/2014 14:04:48]:  Info: NetBIOS could have been disabled on the BE server. Trying to connect using IP address.
[0796] [11/27/2014 14:04:48]:   Tried to connect to BE server using the ip address resource name: \\192.168.0.100\IPC$
[0796] [11/27/2014 14:04:48]:  Info: Successfully connected to the BE server resource: \\192.168.0.100\IPC$
[0796] [11/27/2014 14:04:48]:  Error:         RPCConnection->Connect() failed to connect via ncacn_ip_tcp. Error code: 1825
[0796] [11/27/2014 14:04:48]:  Error Message: A security package specific error occurred.

[0796] [11/27/2014 14:04:48]:  Error:         RPCConnection->Connect() failed to connect via ncacn_np. Error code: 5
[0796] [11/27/2014 14:04:48]:  Error Message: Access is denied.

Please advise.

7 REPLIES 7

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Are you specifying the FQDN or Netbios name of the BE server ?

Open the command prompt (from Utilities) and check if you are able to ping and resolve the BE server or not.

Tryfon
Level 2

Yes I have already tried all the above but still nothing...

VJware
Level 6

Do ensure the "Server" service is running on the BE server. Are you using the BE's logon/service account during the SDR wizard ?

Are you able to access administrative shares & \\192.168.0.100\IPC$ from other machines ?

Tryfon
Level 2

Yes I have tried all of these and I have done all the right settings but still nothing.

Colin_Weaver

When you say you have tried the above tests - what are the results of each test?

As the error suggest we have to be able to access mediaserver\IPC$ from inside the SDR environment if we cannot access it then we cannot continue - and the only things that affect this access are

1) Network Configs (is NIC driver loaded correctly do you have a valid IP address, do you have a default gateway, is there a firewall in the way that needs adjusting)

2) Name resolution (you can actually get round this by using the IP address of the media server instead of the name)

3) Sharing not enabled on the media serevr (The newer versions of Windows operating system do not necessarily set the media server up with file and printer sharing etc and as such you may need to add these roles to your media server)

4) Credentials (use at least Domain admin account - for troubleshooting anyway)

Colin_Weaver

Also Error 1208 is a generic message from the Microsoft Networking stack and if you google it as well as name resolution and other similar things to what we have already suggested it appears that time synchronisation can be a problem as such if the time of the server being restored to is not reasonably close to the time of the media server then this might be the cause.

You can open the command prompt inside the SDR wizard (utilties) and use the time command to both check and set the time

Jason_Snowden
Not applicable

I'm hoping there are yet more suggestions available. I have tried everything listed in the thread so far, including making sure the time is correct. I have an SDR disk made from Backup Exec 2014, and am trying to restore a Server 2012 R2 server.

The server has four nics that are teamed when it was working. I have manually set IP information on one of the nics, and left the other three in their default state. I can ping the SDR image from the backup exec server. I have successful login and logout entries in the security log from the backup exec service account, which is what I'm using to connect (it also fails with the same error - A security package specific error occurred - if I use my admin account). It fails by server name or IP just the same, and it gives a bad password error if I purposely give a bad password, so it's definitely talking to the domain. I've gotten the time settings as in sync as you possibly can by hand.  The Domain LAN Manager Authentication Level security policy has been dropped to "Send NTLMv2 response only. Refuse LM", one level below what we need to set it back to once we've done the restore, due to policy.  This was done in a previous troubleshooting step.  Any other ideas?