cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disaster Recovery for Laptops and Desktops

RayLab
Level 2

I have used BE for file level protection for years but not for Desktop and Laptop protection and recovery.  Are there any straight forward articles that discuss the concept of total laptop and desktop protection in the event of a catastrophic disaster with internal hard drives?  I need a clean and simple method of protecting total contents on desktops and laotops in the event of a total hard drive loss.  Guess what I am looking for is 'Bare Metal Restore'.  This process would also be used to deploy an existing system image from one PC to another...

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Agree with Craig V SSR is probably better than any option offered by BE.

BE has an option called Desktop Laptop Option (DLO) howveer this is purely designed for end user data and is a user centric backup so if a different user logs onto same machine it will (usually) backup different data. It is not desogned for the whoel operating system.

It is alos possible to install teh BE remote agent onto workstaion operating systems and then back them up as if they were servers - but the SSR recovery options and speed are usually better then the IDR ones for a complete DR restore.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Ray,

For baremetal restores, you're looking at System Recovery 2011...

Check the link below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/system-recovery-desktop-edition

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Agree with Craig V SSR is probably better than any option offered by BE.

BE has an option called Desktop Laptop Option (DLO) howveer this is purely designed for end user data and is a user centric backup so if a different user logs onto same machine it will (usually) backup different data. It is not desogned for the whoel operating system.

It is alos possible to install teh BE remote agent onto workstaion operating systems and then back them up as if they were servers - but the SSR recovery options and speed are usually better then the IDR ones for a complete DR restore.

RayLab
Level 2

I apologize for not responding sooner.  been buried, really, really buried.  I will order this and test it out.  It definetely sounds like the solution set I need.

Thanks!

Ray L

RayLab
Level 2

I apologize for not responding sooner.  I've been really buried lately.  I appreciate the detail in your comments and will be ordering SSR real soon to test.  Thanks for the input.

Ray L.