cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disaster Recovery using SDR for Azure Cloud Storage

Graham_Hodgetts
Level 3

Hi,

We have BE16 installed on a Windows Server 2016 DC.

It is configured to backup directly to Azure Cloud Storage.

We have created an SDR ISO and have the SDR configuration data.

However, when booting from the SDR ISO to DR the server, using the data hosted within the Azure Cloud Storage, it will only allow us to point to Local Storage for backups.

Does anyone know the process for a Full DR of servers, using BE16 that are hosted in Azure Cloud Storage?

Thanks

Graham

4 REPLIES 4

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

At the moment the cloud connectors (and a utility to configure them) are not part of  our SDR Recovery Disks as such you can't directly do SDR from such a setup. I have passed your query on to some of our product descision makers for review as it is an intriguing scenario that you have asked about.

For the time being though I think you would have to re-install the OS (and Backup Exec) then  configure the cloud access and restore jobs in order to recover (in effect using a manual DR process and not the automated SDR version.)

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the reply.

What I actually did was to install BE16 onto a different server in the estate. I added the Azure Cloud Storage that hosted the original backups of the failed server to this new server. I then inventoried and catalogued the backups.

Then I booted the failed server from the SDR iso, and pointed it to the remote BE16 server and was able to perform a full DR.

However, this process does require another server with BE16 to complete, so isn't ideal. Especially for single server sites.

I look forward to any updates

Thanks

Graham

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

That's an inventive workaround - I hadn't actually considered it as an option just because your BE server was also the server being recovered, however, as you discovered, building a temporary server to in effect operate as a storage gateway for SDR will work.

Thanks for posting that option as it may proove useful to others.

criley
Employee Accredited

@Graham_Hodgetts

Just adding to Colin's comments here ..

Not sure if you are aware, but our System Recovery product does provide the ability to backup and restore directly to/from cloud storage (Azure and Amazon). The recovery disk used in System Recovery is very similar to SDR and provides the ability to perform a full system restore in the event of disaster.

More details here: https://www.veritas.com/product/backup-and-recovery/system-recovery