cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disaster recovery for Backup Exec 12.5

dpetrek
Level 3

We have Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 Rev. 2213 installed on Windows Server 2003 R2 with SQL & files backup jobs defined.
The destination for backup jobs is NAS device. Was wandering what happens if server running Symantec Backup Exec fails completely and we have only files on NAS device available. How would we restore then?

Regards,
Drazen

10 REPLIES 10

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) load the OS on a new machine

2) load BE on the new machine

3) connect the NAS to the new machine

4) inventory and catalog the B2D folder on the NAS.

5) restore the C: drive and the system state, and then reboot

At this stage you would get back your old media server.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

The answer depends on whether you backup up the Catalogs and Data folder (along with the Backup Exec database) and whether or not you have reasonably similar hardware and a working IDR bootable CD with a recent .DR file

If you have all the above you use IDR to recover the operating system and then possibly recover the latest catalogs and Backup Exec database as a separate stage once the IDR recovery has completed.

If you do not have any of the above then the solution would be manually re-install the operating system and Backup Exec, add in your NAS storage and run Inventory and catalog jobs.

There are of course middle options if you have some of the above items.

BTW as a general recommendataion you should look to update your software as not only is Backup Exec 12.5 already in the end-of-life countdown and not being patched but Windows 2003 is in a similar state.

dpetrek
Level 3

Thank you for your quick answers.

We do have Backup Exec database and whole Symantec folder (including Catalogs and Data) backed up.
How does that change/simplify our recovery options then?
The hardware might or might not be similiar.

Regards,
Drazen

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Having a backup of the Data and Catalog directories will help you to recover BE itself.  You would be able to get back your old job settings, etc.

If your hardware is different, then you would have to load the OS and install BE and then replace the Data and Catalog directories to get back your old job settings.  There is no way to completely recover the server because of lack of drivers in your backups.

dpetrek
Level 3
I've created virtual machine with same OS as original server where Backup Exec is (Windows Server 2003 Standard) from scratch. Installed Backup Exec, applied SP4 as LiveUpdate suggested. Tried starting BE, worked well. Stopped relevant BE services, deleted "Data" and "Catalog" folders and copied them over from my original machine hosting BE. BE does not recognise media server anymore, offers me to choose where one is so it can connect. Event viewer shows that Backup Exec Agent Browser Service and Backup Exec Job engine service did not start because they depend on Backup Exec Server service which failed to start aswell. Application log in Event Viewer shows: The Backup Exec Server service did not start. An internal error (1627652097) occurred in object -1. What am I missing here?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Is the BE SQL instance BKUPEXEC started before all the BE services are started? Note that using a VM for a media server is not supported, but for testing it is o.k.

VJware
Level 6

Additionally, open a cmd and browse to the Backup Exec directory. Run the following command:-

beserver.exe -console

You may either post/pm the output which could help us find out the cause of the error.

Additionally, does the VM have the same name as that of the original media server ? If not, this could be a reason for the service failure when you imported the Data & Catalogs.

Colin_Weaver

if the name of the server changes from where the BEDB comes from to where it is now being loaded you do have to take addtional steps as you are in effect doing a migration and not a DR if the servername is different.

dpetrek
Level 3

VM could not connect to database instance since i've renamed VM *after* Backup exec was installed.
There is reg key to fix this:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\BEDatabase\Server Database Server Name

I've tried renaming the VM before Backup Exec was installed and that resolved the issue.
Also, since I was also interested in scenario where Data&Catalogs folders would not be available, NAS was inventoried and cataloged and restoration of data was successfull. Thank you all for your help!

Regards,
Drazen

Colin_Weaver

sorry but there are server names inside the database as well as in the registry

Step 5 ion this document priovided tyeh SQL commands

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH67296