cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disc Backup to tape

jmurph05
Level 2

Our backup exec runs a full backup weekly of many of our servers to a hard drive.  I would like to be able to take that full backup and duplicate it to a tape to take offsite.  Is this possible without creating a new backup job in Backup Exec?  I'd like to be able to run it all at once and not have it write to the disc and then have to do the same backup to the tape.

Thanks,

-Jared

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Siddh
Level 4

To run a duplicate job:

1. Click File, New, Duplicate Backup Sets job
  2. Select Duplicate existing backup sets, click OK
  3. If you are duplicating a tape, you will find it easier to change the view to view by media.
  4. Select the media, which will include all backup sets on the media, or select specific backup sets as required.
  5. Choose other backup options as normal
  6. Under General, you might want to choose the relevant tape drive as the preferred source device.
  7. Click Run

Find the below doc for more information

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH24544

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Yes you can create a duplicate job and manually duplicate all the data to the tapes OR you can just run a new backup job to take the complete backup of disk.

Siddh
Level 4

To run a duplicate job:

1. Click File, New, Duplicate Backup Sets job
  2. Select Duplicate existing backup sets, click OK
  3. If you are duplicating a tape, you will find it easier to change the view to view by media.
  4. Select the media, which will include all backup sets on the media, or select specific backup sets as required.
  5. Choose other backup options as normal
  6. Under General, you might want to choose the relevant tape drive as the preferred source device.
  7. Click Run

Find the below doc for more information

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH24544

jmurph05
Level 2

Thanks, thats exactly what I was looking for.  To create the duplicate to follow the job do I have to create a new one?  It says none of my backup tasks are able to do that. "To duplicate backup sets following a job, the backup job must be scheduled to run and must not be associated with any other duplicate backup set jobs."  I'll try creating another job and see if that works.

Thanks,

-Jared

Siddh
Level 4

Duplicate backup job will run immediately once your actual job get completed

Example: If you are taking exchange backup as B2D (Exchange Daily Backup) and same you want to take on tape. Create the duplicate backup job linked to Exchange Daily Backup job  destination and source must be correct.

jmurph05
Level 2

Thanks.

jmurph05
Level 2

I have it set to run tonight, I'll post the results in the morning.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

If he does it your way, he needs to manually do this every day, right?

If he creates a policy using the template provided by Symantec, it will happen auto-magically every time the B2D runs

See the Admin Guide page 460 to set up the Policy