cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disk Based Backup Strategies

Codders
Level 4

Hi there,

I'm migrating from Veeam to Symantec BUE 2014 and struggling to find the best type of backup strategy.  For any Veeam users out there, you'll more than likely be used to the forever incremental concept.  What I really liked is that I could simply backup, every night, the Veeam .VBK file to tape and voila full nightly backups to tape, leaving full and incremental backups on disk.

With Symantec however I'm struggling.

I have two BUE 2014 servers connected by 1Gbps fibre (site A and site B).  My intention is to backup to site A and then duplicate that information to site B.  To satisfy our auditors (and for belt and braces protection) we also have a tape robotic library connected to site A.  Ideally I'd like to have at least 1 weekly backup to tape.

I have a couple of questions though:

- with disk based backups (going to dedupe disk storage), how often to do do full backups?

- Is it possible to do reverse incremental?

- How do you create the job in BUE...is it backup, tape, duplicate?

- Do you tend to create individual backup jobs for each server, or group them?

- If doing full backups, do you alternate the days that each of the above servers completes its full backup?

- For VMware servers, do you prefer to use the agent and if so, why?

Sorry for what may seem like daft questions...but with Veeam my backups start and finish ultra quick and frankly the concept of completing full backups is, well, a one time activity.  My ongoing backuop windows are really small...even with the 5TB of data being written to tape every night.

Thanks in advance,

Danny

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

- with disk based backups (going to dedupe disk storage), how often to do do full backups?

Regardless of the target media, you should do full backups as often as possible because when you do a restore from incremental backups, you need to restore the last full backup and ALL the incremental backups since then.  This can take a long time.

No.  BE does not have reverse incremental.

It can be all the above.  It depends on your need.  Of course, to have a duplicate job, you first need to have a backup job to either tape or disk.

Again it depends on your need.  Having individual jobs means more work scheduling them, but they are easier to rerun when one of them fails.  When a job backs up multiple servers and one of them fails, then the entire job fails.

- If doing full backups, do you alternate the days that each of the above servers completes its full backup?

It depends on your backup window.  If your backup window allows you to do your full backup in one day, why not do them in one day.

You need to install the remote agent in the VM, if you want GRT restore for applications like Exchange, SQL Server databases, etc.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Regardless of the target media, you should do full backups as often as possible because when you do a restore from incremental backups, you need to restore the last full backup and ALL the incremental backups since then.  This can take a long time.

No.  BE does not have reverse incremental.

It can be all the above.  It depends on your need.  Of course, to have a duplicate job, you first need to have a backup job to either tape or disk.

Again it depends on your need.  Having individual jobs means more work scheduling them, but they are easier to rerun when one of them fails.  When a job backs up multiple servers and one of them fails, then the entire job fails.

It depends on your backup window.  If your backup window allows you to do your full backup in one day, why not do them in one day.

You need to install the remote agent in the VM, if you want GRT restore for applications like Exchange, SQL Server databases, etc.

Codders
Level 4

pkh thanks for the above.  It's really useful.

Sorry for not getting back sooner - I've been dealing with a major disaster IT disaster this week :(