cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disk Cartridge Media.

iyke
Level 2

I have the atteched image showing the a crossed sign on my disk drives except one. How do i fix this?

3 REPLIES 3

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

This sign indicates the media is set to read-only. Double-click the media and choose Properties on the left side. And then uncheck the option "Limit Backup Exec to read-only operations". An inventory may be required for the changes to take effect.

Hi VJware,

Attached are two screenshots showing the properties of the disks. One shows that the Limit Backup Exec to read-only operations is set to "No" and the other Screenshot shows backupsets that have expired but refuesed to leave the disk in a very long time. 

Everytime i set the Limit Backup Exec to "No" it changes back to "Yes" after a while. 

I also try to re-Expire the backupsets, but they refuse to go.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

By design if you detach a disk storage device for a long enough time then it will be marked as limited to read only operations when it is reconnected - this is so that if you bring an old detached disk back for a restore that Backup Exec does not immediatley reclaim (delete) any expired data  before you get chance to do your restore.

The default times for when this happens are configurable and you can also set different times for cartridge media (RDX) as opposed to USB/NAS/fixed (non-cartridge disk storage)  that might go offline.  Go to the storage section in the general BE settings to adjust these timings - or be prepared to check the limit to read only setting whenever an offline disk is brought back online.