cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disk appears offline

Sjuttisju
Level 2

Hello,

Got a bit of an annoying issue with backup exec 2014. We have a physical server (2012R2) running Backup Exec connected to a Dell Dr4100 Dedup storage. We are seeing quite a few "The disk is offline" errors in the Backup Exec eventlog, the number of errors logged range from maybe 2 to 30 times a month and the timestamps are all over the place, somtimes once a week and sometimes several times in half an hour.

As far as I can tell, this has never interfered with the actual jobs themselves, but what could be causing this? I have tried to dump the output of a simple ping to a file to see if there are any network errors over a period of time but there seems to be no loss of packets. Also, the Dell DR4100 is logging no errors.

Any ideas?

5 REPLIES 5

Wolfgang_Bures_
Level 2

I have a very similar problem with a synology NAS (accessed via SMB) and just now sent the debug files to veritas for analysis...

Sjuttisju
Level 2

Ok if they do get back to you with some good information do you mind sharing it? I'm about to log a case too but they might get back to you beforehand. 

Thanks

Wolfgang_Bures_
Level 2

sure I'll do, though I would suggest you log your case, because mine might end unsolved as the hadrware is not on their support-list... :\

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Wolfgang, all disks recognized by Windows should work.  From the HCL "For this basic support, any device recognized and supported by the Windows platform should work with Backup Exec"

Sjuttisju, are you using the DR4100 as a B2D device or as an OST device?

Sjuttisju
Level 2

Hello Larry, I'm using it as a B2D device, the DR4100 is exporting the share as a CIFS container.