cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disk based backup set of duplicated copy for deduplication job is missing

dss_thinktank
Level 4

I have deduplication job which is using tape as duplication target. Because tape drive stopped working I modified job temporarily so that instead of tape, duplication target was disk based storage on network share. Tape has been defined as "second level" stage in job, so I set tape stage in "hold" and created parallel "second level" stage for duplicating into disk storage.

Based on logs everything works fine, in log messages there are even names of backup files listed as "media used". But when I check the destination network share, directory is empty. Also in BE there are no backup sets available in this disk storage. BE reports show in general level that disk based storage has been used but they do not show any details of it.

Is this perhaps caused by "keep" times of backup sets: deduplication folder is set to keep backup sets for 6 weeks. With disk storage "keep" time was only 4 hours. I have not had problems with short "keep" times with other disk based storages, where there are no deduplication involved.

Is there a way to find out where this backup has been lost or who has deleted the backup set... or was it perhaps deleted by DLM?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

4 hours is a short retention time and possibly expired by DLM. You can check the audit logs to confirm if these backup sets were indeed expired by DLM or not.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

4 hours is a short retention time and possibly expired by DLM. You can check the audit logs to confirm if these backup sets were indeed expired by DLM or not.

dss_thinktank
Level 4

Thanks,

It seems that DLM has deleted backup sets so I must modify "keep" time to be longer. 

I have that short "keep" times with all my disk based backups, because I want only one backup set to be available. Because deletion took place only with this specific task, I quess it is because deduplication folder has longer "keep" times so DLM desides that the other expired backup set can be safely deleted.

In case somebody is wondering where the audit logs can be viewed, here is a tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqRmjloz2ic