cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disk only backup - he data being read from the media is inconsistent.

Richard_Baldock
Level 3
I am only using DIsk as a backup medium. My backups are sucessful ( after a bit of BE10 pain)

I cannot restore or catalog anything.!

The error below is reported in the event log.

I cannot find any fix. This make the product useless. PLEASE ASSIST!!!!

Final Error Code: e0008538 HEX (0xe0008538 HEX) or a0008538 HEX (0xa0008538 HEX)
Final Error Description: The data being read from the media is inconsistent.
Final Error Category: Backup Media Errors
9 REPLIES 9

Kerm
Level 5
Local or remote disk? iSCSI disk? Does BEX create a catalog to the file level of the data being backed up? When you attempt a restore are you able to select down to the last file backed up?

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hello,

-- The error occurs when Backup Exec is reading a tape prior to backup and encounters End of Data unexpectedly.

-- Various things can cause such an error: losing power to the tape drive or server, a system or engine service crash, or a tape drive failure.

-- Check whether you are getting event ID´s 7,9,11,15.

-- Update the firmware of the device and install the latest Veritas drivers.

Please refer to the following documents :

1.The error "The data being read from the media is inconsistent." (e00084ca HEX or a00084ca HEX) occurs when running a backup.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/273455

2. How to troubleshoot issues with a Robotic Library or Tape Drive in Backup Exec 9.x and 10.0

http://support.veritas.com/docs/255501

NOTE: If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Jeff_Latimer
Level 4
Sorry Richard,
I dont have a solution for you.

But to bump this thread. This is a commonly un-answered problem here. Veritas gives their cookie-cutter "it is your fault" answer of clean the tape drive, check termination, replace your tape, among others.

The responder here obviously did not read your message as they direct you to tape related issues when you are writing to disk.

Does anyone have a fix for this problem that does not involve a new tape drive, new media, new cables, new drivers, new terminator since every one of those has already been done, or does not apply.

Jim_Bollinger
Level 4
I have seen this problem since 9.1 on backup to disk. I saw it on both an iSCSI disk and on a B2D folder on a NAS box. I tried to get Veritas to check into the code and see if there could be a scenario where the checksums are calculated incorrectly in the initial write to disk, but they always say it is your equipment or setup.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Had you selected to verify the jobs during backup.

By not running a verify, data errors may not become apparent until a restore or catalog operation is attempted from tape media. For this reason, running backups without the verification and checksum options is not advised.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Fabrice_MOSCA
Level 2
Hello

I agree with Jeff. Veritas doesn't look very motivated to solve this issue. (i tried myself without any success)
In my platform i have two Tape drive ans drivers are uptodate.
This error appear in a random way but usually when the job is performing on a specific server. But sometimes the job go to the end without any error ! Backupexec is not reliable !!!!

Hope to find a solution one day ....

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Assuming that the provided solution is correct, aslo there is no update since the last reply to this post.

T_T_4
Not applicable
I am getting this error using BE 9.1 with the Iomega REV drive as a removable drive. Sure wish there was a solution. It is not a hardware problem.

Don_Pincott
Level 2
Hi Guys
This message in V10 has two causes as far as I can tell and Veritas needs to URGENTLY fix both of them.

1) If your backup is going to disk:
The message and action is totally inappropriate and confusing.

Veritas need to alter the message to say:
"You have reached the default limit of 100 backup jobs going to the default folders. We have erased the earliest backup job and will start auto-recycling these job numbers to ensure that the more recent backup jobs do not fail.

However, you may also wish to increase the limit under the configuration options. Please note that the default limit of 100 is the combined total if you have multiple backup-to-disk folders".

However, Veritas also need to alter the V10 program to auto-recycle when the limit is reached.

In the meantime, increase the limit whilst waiting for this patch.

2) If you are backing up to tape.
In this case, the message then really means:,

" Whoops! we have a new bug - unlike V9, if you are writting to tape, you may only opt to 'Overwrite Media' - the other two options - 'Add to appendable media before overwriting scratch media etc' and the other similar one do not work correctly - again, perhaps not appearing as an issue until the tape has been fully used".

Veritas also need to sort this bug out.

The fact that V9 had all three working suggests that Veritas has introduced a bug in V10 and is unable to see and read the end of appendable data marker and start recycling tapes and that needs to be fixed.

Alternatively, as a poor second choice, Veritas could gray out these two options leaving only "Overwrite Media", if the destination is to a tape unit.

In the meantime, whilst waiting for a patch, alter your tape backup jobs to "Overwrite" and be happy that at least each tape can hold one (and only one) backup job in future.

p.s. I see there are lot of sites with these issues unresolved, so please pester Veritas to fix these two.

Cheers
Don Pincott