cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disk to Disk Exchange backup is failing - Backup Exec 2010

buck614
Level 4

I have recently installed Backup Exec 2010 on a standalone 2003 X64 Server box.. I have an Exchange agent activated to backup my exchange server. I do not have my tape library yet so for the moment I am looking to back up my exchange server to my Backup Exec Server's local drive. This is just temporary.

To accomplish this I created a Backup-to-disk item on the devices tab that points to a local folder. It is set for a maximum size of 500Gb. It is enabled and has a low disk threshold of 50GB set.

The drive in questiuon is the local drive on the Backup Exec computer. It is 1TB is sizw with 917GB free.

The backup job is set up to run a full backup, 'append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is available', I also made a custom media set which is set to Overwrite protection period of 1 hour, and the appendable period is set to 'Infinite - Allow Append'.

My first run earlier in the week went great with no errors. I then ran another full backup and it backed up about 336GB of data but failed with the following error message:

The job failed with the following error: Using the job settings, Backup Exec attempted to back up the passive copy of the Exchange database. However, the passive copy was not available after the Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot was performed. Try to run the job again.

Just a thought but ...

I have a space limit of 500GB set on the destination folder for the backup. It seems like the size was exceeded on the 2nd full backup but it was unable to delete the previous backup to make room for the new one. As I said the full backup is about 380GB.

Any ideas?

59 REPLIES 59

buck614
Level 4

I think my quota settings for the backup to disk are wrong. Everything is failing now. My full backup started running monday night and it was still running this morning (Wednesday).

When I cancelled the job it had this as an error:
V-79-57344-33935 - The backup-to-disk folder that was specified for this job ran out of disk space. The backup set has been deleted, and the backup-to-disk folder has been paused.
Either free some disk space, or specify a different backup-to-disk folder for the job. Before other jobs can use this folder, you must clear the Pause state. On the Devices view, right-click the folder and click Pause to remove the check mark.

I really need help please.
Thanks.

buck614
Level 4

I think it may be bacuase I set my max BKF file size limit to 4GB. I am setting that back to 800GB and see what happens.

buck614
Level 4
Everytime I run a job now I get this, (Note: I am not even using the AOFO option):

AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

Snapshot provider error (0xE000FED1): A failure occurred querying the Writer status.

Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

Writer Name: Exchange Server, Writer ID: {76FE1AC4-15F7-4BCD-987E-8E1ACB462FB7}, Last error: The VSS Writer failed, but the operation can be retried (0x800423f3), State: Failed during freeze operation (9).

V-79-57344-65233 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\Microsoft Information Store\Second Storage Group". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

Snapshot provider error (0xE000FED1): A failure occurred querying the Writer status.

Writer Name: Exchange Server, Writer ID: {76FE1AC4-15F7-4BCD-987E-8E1ACB462FB7}, Last error: The VSS Writer failed, but the operation can be retried (0x800423f3), State: Failed during freeze operation (9).

Can someone please help me?

buck614
Level 4

It's been over a week since anyone has responded. I get the above error EVERY time the job runs now. Can anyone please help me?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hit the "Escalate to Support" button here, but it might also be time to look into logging a call with Symantec. If you do, and they solve it, please post that solution here and close it off.

Thanks,

Craig

buck614
Level 4

Where is the "Escalate to Support" button?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
You won't see it, but I have selected it...post whether or not someone comes back to you. If not, best bet is to log a call directly with Symantec.

buck614
Level 4
Thanks.

Where was it in case I ever need to do it?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If you have access to it (I think only Trusted Advisors do) it is on the bottom menu bar of the first post in a thread

buck614
Level 4

I don't have access I guess. Thanks.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
OK Going back to the original post

Problems with snapshot errors backing up the Passive Copy of Exchange 2007 Databases is a known problem that is outside of Symantec's control and influence to fix. Something was introduced in SP1 for Exchange 2007 by Microsoft that causes this problem and despite Symantec working with Microsoft it appears that the change cannot be undone because it affects other areas of Exchange. At this current time it appears that this will therefore never be solved as Microsoft are concentrating their development efforts on Exchange 2010 and any future versions.

This is covered by:
http://entsupport.symantec.com/docs/305815

The best solutions being set the job to backup from the Active Copy ONLY in the Exchange properties of the job - or upgrade your environment to Exchange 2010 DAGs that do not have the problem.

Please note that we have quoted a number of error codes in the job however we have seen in practice that the version, service pack and hotfix level of the Operating System, Backup Exec and Exchange can all change the error codes as such we have almost certainly not documented all the possible codes that might be returned by the same problem.

Also note that whilst in some environments the Passive Copy backup will intermittentkly fail (i.e. works most of the time) on other environments it will intermittently work (so fails most of the time)

I have not yet read the complete thread thoroughly to see if you had any other issues mentioned.

Colin_Weaver

OK have read a bit more of the thread,it  doesn't appear anyone told you about the Passive Copy problem however if you have already changed to the active copy backup and continue having problems with VSS when backing up the Active Copy of Exchange 2007  then you should consider logging a formal support case for us  to do more through troubleshooting.

buck614
Level 4

Please explain passive copy versus active copy and also where and how those selections are made.
Thanks.

Colin_Weaver
In your original post your pasted a message that indicates that Backup Exec was trying to backup Exchange from a Passive Copy of the Exchange Database.

Amongst other configurations, Exchange 2007 can be configured in CCR mode (where a copy of the Exchage Information Store is held on another computer), or LCR mode (where a copy of the Exchange Information Store is held on another volume on the same computer). These copies are known as Passive Copies - with the live version of the Information Store being the Active Copy. For more information on these copnfigurations I suggest you speak to Microsoft.

Against Backup Exec, from this forum thread,  I can't tell whether you are running LCR or CCR, however, either way, Backup Exec was originally designed to be able to protect the Passive Copy of the Information Store to limit the impact of running a backup job against the Active copy (in fact we default to this as we thought it was a good idea) Unfortunately the issue I provided in the document has meant the backup from the Passive Copy is unreliable and may not even work, reporting errors against VSS.

To change the setting that controls this:
1) open the Properties of the Backup Job that backups up your Exchange server.
2) in the side bar of the Job Properties, select the Microsoft Exchange section
3) in the drop down which on a BE 2010 R2 server is called 'High Availability Server (Exchange 2007 or later) - make sure it says "Backup from the active copy only (job fails if not available) NOTE: I suspect teh title of this section is differnt depending on the version of Backup Exec you are running - I don't have the older versions in front of me currently.
4) Submit the change to the job.

buck614
Level 4

Ok. Thanks for the response.

I have set the incremental and full backup jobs to the backup active copy setting. It was set to "let backup exec choose the method".

buck614
Level 4

However, the passive error at the beginning of my post is not really my error anymore. I think it has to do with my backup to disk settings.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
What error are you getting now?

buck614
Level 4

Everytime I run a job now I get this, (Note: I am not even using the AOFO option):

AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

V-79-57344-65233 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\Microsoft Information Store\Second Storage Group". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

buck614
Level 4

Made the change to an active copy of the database ... made no difference.
Same error:

Click an error below to locate it in the job log

Backup- V-79-57344-65072 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "Microsoft Information Store". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

Snapshot provider error (0xE000FE30): A communications failure has occurred.

V-79-57344-65072 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "Microsoft Information Store". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

V-79-57344-65072 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "Microsoft Information Store". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

BackupV-79-57344-65096 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "System?State". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

Snapshot provider error (0xE000FE48): The function is not implemented.

Exceptions
Click an exception below to locate it in the job log
Backup- \C:The .DR file that is required for Intelligent Disaster Recovery is not updated.

Backup- \D:Unable to open the item \D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Mailbox\First Storage Group\E00.log - skipped.

Unable to open the item \D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Mailbox\First Storage Group\E00tmp.log - skipped.

Unable to open the item \D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Mailbox\LocalCopies\Third Storage Group\mailbox database1.edb - skipped.

Unable to open the item \D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Mailbox\Second Storage Group\E01.log - skipped.

Unable to open the item \D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Mailbox\Second Storage Group\E01tmp.log - skipped.

Unable to open the item \D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Mailbox\Third Storage Group\E02.log - skipped.

Unable to open the item \D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Mailbox\Third Storage Group\E02tmp.log - skipped.

Unable to open the item \D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Mailbox\Third Storage Group\mailbox database1.edb - skipped.

Unable to open the item \D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\TransportRoles\data\Queue\trn.log - skipped.

Unable to open the item \D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\TransportRoles\data\Queue\trntmp.log - skipped.

Unable to open the item \D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\TransportRoles\data\SenderReputation\trn.log - skipped.

Unable to open the item \\varan.IDS.COM\D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\TransportRoles\data\SenderReputation\trntmp.log - skipped.

The .DR file that is required for Intelligent Disaster Recovery is not updated.

buck614
Level 4
I think it is fixed now. I called Symantec Support and we were able to walk through some changes and I had a sucsessfull full backup last night.

My VSS writers were not showing online on my exchange box. I rebooted the exchange server and they started showing online properly. We also downloaded SP1 for Backup Exec 2010. That in turn updated the remote agent on the Exchange box.

We also determined that third storage group was set up for LCR replication. Because of that, we set bot the incremental and full backups to backup from the active copy only.

We set the maximum size for backup to disk files to 10Gb.

We also set the selection list to only backup System State, Shadow Copy Components, and the Microsoft Information Store. I am going to create a new selection list and policy to backup everything else on the exchange server. Apparently it is best to seperate those backups.

I am not using the AOFO option at all because it is not needed on a Windows 2003 server box apparently.

As I said, the full backup ran last night with no issues. I believe the main remaining issue was the VSS writers. I also needed to set it to "backup from the active copy only".

Thanks for everyone's help.