Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disk to Disk Monthly backup taking up too much disk space

winniex
Level 3
Partner

Hi there,

We have got three jobs setup for each server: daily, fortnightly and monthly.  The total disk space for the D2D backup is 2.7TB.  The daily back for all the servers consumes around 940GB.  The monthly backup medias has got overwrite protection until the same month next year, this means the monthly backup will consume 940GB of disk space all the time.  Our policy is to be able to retain two days of daily backup.  Having the monthly backup taken up 940GB means we do not have enough space to retain two days of daily backup.  Is there any way we can resolve this?

Thanks

Winnie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Once you have duplicated the backup to tape, you don't need to keep anything on disk. If I were you, I would just do the weekly and monthly backups direct to tape, avoiding disks at all.  I would just keep the daily on disks because normally, there are more requests to restore recent files.  Alternatively, just keep 1 copy each of your weekly and monthly backups on disk.  Change your OPP for your weekly and monthly backups accordingly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The monthly backup medias has got overwrite protection until the same month next year, this means the monthly backup will consume 940GB of disk space all the time.

I don't quite understand.  One of your monthly backup will consume 940GB and this have to be kept for 1 year.  This means that in one year, you would have 12 x 940GB = 11.28TB of monthly backups and not 940GB

winniex
Level 3
Partner

Some updates on our current configuration

Current setup:

Daily Disk to Disk: Monday to Thursday

Daily Duplicate to tape: Monday to Thursday

Weekly Disk to Disk: Fridays (except 1st Friday of each month)

Weekly Duplicat to tape:Fridays(except 1st Friday of each month)

Monthly Disk to Disk: 1st Friday of each month

Monthly Duplicate to tape: 1st Friday of each month

Goal: to retain last 2 days of backup on the hard disk

The current problem we are having is that the monthly D2D backups has got overwrite protection until same month next year.  This means the monthly D2D backups will took over all the hard disk after two months.

Is there anything we can change for our current backup configuration so that we don't need to retain the monthly D2D backup on the hard disk but still able to retain the last two days of backups on the disk?

Thanks a lot

Winnie

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Once you have duplicated the backup to tape, you don't need to keep anything on disk. If I were you, I would just do the weekly and monthly backups direct to tape, avoiding disks at all.  I would just keep the daily on disks because normally, there are more requests to restore recent files.  Alternatively, just keep 1 copy each of your weekly and monthly backups on disk.  Change your OPP for your weekly and monthly backups accordingly.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...running BE 2010 you should consider deduplication, or even Incremental/Differential backups if you're not streaming data off to tape, or don't increase disk space to the size mentioned by pkh...