cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I backup daily incrementals to tape?

mike_brooker
Level 5
I run daily incremental to back-up-to-disk fMon to Friday, early Saturday I run a full back up to disk - after which I dump the whole lot to tape.

Is it necessary when carrying out the tape dump to include the incrementals? would it be acceptable to dump just the full back ups?
4 REPLIES 4

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
There is no point (that I can see) in duplicating the incrementals to tape - the information is superseded by the full backup.

tom_garrity
Level 3
A good way to combine disk-to-disk and tape backups is to use Policies.

Within the policy, you will create two templates. The first template backs-up to disk, then a duplicate template backs up the same data to tape. While the tape is working, the next d2d job can begin.

Tape restores are directly from tape...no need to go back to disk.

You can experiment with policies using a small backup to a quickly overwritten media set.

This way, you can duplicate your incrementals to tape on a daily basis. Just put them on tape that has a planned overwrite period.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
if you are only doing a Full once a week, I'd definitely DUPLICATE the incrementals to tape, otherwise, in a DisasterRecovery situation, your only recovery point would be the Saturday full.

mike_brooker
Level 5
Yes fulls are only once a week, so I'll guess I dump the incs to tape.

There are many options and I've probably got configured in a very basic way at the moment, I will have to fine tune it some more.