cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need Backup Exec SQL agent to Backup MS SQL Server 2005

tomking
Level 3
Hi,

This may be a very silly question: Do I need to purchase a license for Backup Exec SQL agent to be able to backup MS SQL Server 2005? I am currently using Backup Exec 12.5. Had alook of the SQL agent description. It says will get ride of daily backup of your SQL db and allow continues backup. So I assume you can do daily backup of MS SQL db without buying MS SQL agent license?
3 REPLIES 3

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
You need to buy SQL Agent to backup SQL databases. If you do not have SQL agent, then you may do a file level backup, but SQL backup methods and point in time recovery may not happen. So, you need to have Backup Exec SQL Agent in order to backup MS SQL databases.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks

paul_davy
Not applicable
I run several SQL servers on differetn platforms 2k, 2k3 and 2k3 x64, my backup regeime, currently enables a flat file backup. We currently would have to restore the SQL created SQL backup of each DB.  If I use the SQL agent I trust I can backup / restore the production database.  Upon a disaster and have to rebuild a server, whayt other beneifits does the SQL agent provide.  Can I then do a full restore of the server (hardware permitting) stright down to new hardware or will I have to restore the OS, then install SQL then restore the SQL Db?

I am trying to simplify my restore processes  improve their effectiveness.  Many thanks in advance.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Paul,

Open up a new query rather than piggy-backing an old forum discussion...more people are likely to see it.

Laters!