cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to purchase an agent for the server that Backup Exec is on?

admps
Level 3

Right now I have BE 2010 on Server01 which is backing up shares on Server02 and Server03.  If I uninstall BE from Server 01 and install it on Server02 will I still need to purchase a remote agent for Server02 in order to backup the shares that are on it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No.  BE comes with a remote agent for the media server, i.e., the media server can back itself up without any further licence.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No.  BE comes with a remote agent for the media server, i.e., the media server can back itself up without any further licence.

DevG
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

Just to add here that it will allow you to backup data on server02 as it becomes local server but you will still need remote agent license if you intend to backup Data on server03.

I hope this answers all your queries.

Regards,

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

The basic answer is as pkh indicated - BE already includes the licesning to backup the server it runs on as part of the core license.

However if the media server runs an application that requires a specific agent (Exchnage or SQL etc) you will need the licenses for the related application agents.

admps
Level 3

Thanks to all of you.  The answers you have provided were very helpful and answered my question.

Colin:  Thanks for the additional info, too.  We don't have Exchange, SQL or anything else on the box right now, but that's good to info to know.  Thank you.