cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to run catalog jobs every day?

Johnlex
Level 3
 Am I supposed to have a catalog created for each backup job I run?  If so, how do I do it so that the cataloguing takes place immediately after the backup job, every day?
Thanks

John
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

shirmal
Level 5
 Hi Johnlex,
The catalog is automatically created when running a backup job. There is no need to do a manual catalog after each job.
You only need to catalog an imported tape ie: if the tape catalog doesnt exist in the index database.
Hope this helps

---cheers

shirmal

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

shirmal
Level 5
 Hi Johnlex,
The catalog is automatically created when running a backup job. There is no need to do a manual catalog after each job.
You only need to catalog an imported tape ie: if the tape catalog doesnt exist in the index database.
Hope this helps

---cheers

shirmal

Johnlex
Level 3
 The reason I tried a manual catalog was because when I tried to perform a restore, I couldn't see the files inside the folders.  So I thought it was because the backup files had not been catalogued.
Is there another reason why the files would not appear when trying to restore?

John

shirmal
Level 5
 strange.....

As long as the backup was run on that server the catalog should be avalible for browsing / restoring.

The only other thing I can think of is - make sure all of the backup exec services are running. I have had a problem with BE 9.x that one of the services suddenly stops (I have forgotten exactly which service this is) & when you try to restore NONE of the catalogs are listed.

Also - was the backup you are trying to restore an incremental, differential or a full backup?? Remember that if is an incremental or differential unchanged files that were not backed up will not appear in the catalog listing (you may have to go back to a previous backup to restore them).

Hope this helps

---cheers

shirmal

Stix
Level 4
In the restore job screen, mMake sure you've unticked the boxes 'Beginning backup date:' and 'Ending backup date:'

Sometimes, these are ticked which results in no listings.

Also check your catalog retention settings under Tools - Options - Catalog.  Check the option for 'Trucate catalogs after...'

I'd also recommend enabling storage media-based catalogs.