cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you backup to Disk?

Scott_K
Level 2
I am looking at redesigning our backup scheme and would like to know if any others are using a backup to disk through the week scheme and only performing the traditional backup to tape on the weekends? I am intending on using on CPS for file servers and exchange through the day and backing in bulk to tape on the weekends.

We presently use acronis enterprise server to make nightly full image backups of all our server system volumes so i intend to use cps to protect the data partitions.

Has anyone else taken this kind of route and able to provide any thoughts, advise or opinions?

Thank you.
2 REPLIES 2

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Just look here:

That was the post directly above yours on the forums. In short, problems are common.

If you have a tape drive, do a full backup every night, with recent drives the time this takes is quite comparable to a disk drive, and much faster if the disk is USB1.0 only.

Symantec pushes its "Advanced Disk Backup" but it doesn't assume you have a rotation of USB drives. It's assuming you have an external raid array of disks which provide their own redundancy. What you do then is you backup incrementally onto these devices and then have all those incrementals pulled into one "synthetic" backup on tape. It's a great technology, but you need more than a couple of USB drives to pull it off. If you don't want to use this technology, disks and Veritas are not the combination for you.

xcom1000
Level 3
You can use hard drives as tapes.
I just ordered a complete setup from them