cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does BE use VSSADMIN.exe and BCDEDIT.exe?

dori_bashan
Level 6

Hi

Due to secuirity issues, we want to disbale VSSADMIN.EXE and BCDEDIT.exe on our servers

Does BE uses those two exe's? will i have issues with BE after disabling them?

we use BE 2014 SP1

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

BE would use VSS to quiesce applications etc. to get a backup through, but you generally use vssadmin.exe to check the status of the VSS writers. Should be OK to do so, but double-check your backups.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV

BE would use VSS to quiesce applications etc. to get a backup through, but you generally use vssadmin.exe to check the status of the VSS writers. Should be OK to do so, but double-check your backups.

Thanks!

dori_bashan
Level 6

Thanks

I also posted the same post on the System Recovery forum as we also use SSR on that server (together with Lights Our Restore)

I hope someone on the SSR forum will be able to confrim the same.

Dori

CraigV

I'll go answer there too, but it would be the same as here...

dori_bashan
Level 6

I was under the impression that BCDEDIT.exe must be used by recovery software that changed the boot menu

is this not correct with SSR?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

As we do use VSS snapshots for almost all backup types, if you ever need to log a formal support case and the issue relates to problems within VSS then the support technicians will need to use VSSADMIN to assist you. If we see VSS errors and cannot use VSSADMIN we would probably not be able to continue working on the support case . My guess is that if you ever need Microsoft's assistance for a VSS issue they would insist on being able to run VSSADMIN too. So you will need to need a usable method to re-enable it when needed and not just completely block its use.

dori_bashan
Level 6

Thank you!