cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Backup Exec 2014 support backing up Hyper-V replica?

kf2013
   VIP   

I would like to know if backing up Hyper-V replica is supported by BE 2014.

11 REPLIES 11

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

It is supported (with limitations)

Verbatim from this KB - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO99582

"Hyper-V Replication virtual machine backups may result in redundant backups of the primary virtual machine and the replicated virtual machine."

kf2013
   VIP   

Thanks for your information.

I want to replicate all VMs using the replication in Hyper-V 2012 R2  to DR site and then use BE to backup all replicas to tape.

Is it okay?

VJware
Level 6

Yes.

Mai_Ali
Level 4
Accredited Certified

Yes, You can but in this case you will need to deploy symantec v-array agent on DR site to can backup VMs replicas in this DR site.

kf2013
   VIP   

Thanks

kf2013
   VIP   

Could I setup a standalone BE 2014 server in DR site to backup Hyper-V replica ?

VJware
Level 6

Yes, you can and you would require appropriate licenses such as the core BE license, Agent for Hyper-V etc.

kf2013
   VIP   

Thanks. I know. I will buy all required licenses.

I will setup a testing environment first.

WellhartIT
Level 2

Sorry to jump on an old thread, but I can find any significant documentation on backing up Hyper-V replicas other than the one sentence mentioned above.

We currently backup a remote cluster but this is taking way too long. We also have the VMs replicating offsite to where the backup server is located, so backing up the replicas which are local seems more logical. That is so long as we can use the backups of the replicas for GRT recovery as well as to restore the VMs themselves.

I am looking for detailed information on the features and limitations of backing up Hyper-V replicas if possible?

Thanks in advance!

kf2013
   VIP   

I think the GRT is not possible because the VM is not powered on.

WellhartIT
Level 2

Hi kf2013 thanks for your reply.

How does GRT work? I thought the catalogue job that runs after the backup mounts the VHD/VHDX and reads files that way so why would the VM need to be on?

When we tried backing up the Replicas previously, the catalogue job seemed to communicate with the actual servers on the other cluster... e.g. A "replica VM" would be backed up on "cluster A" and then during catalogue BE would communicate with the agent on the "VM" which is on "cluster B".

Is this by design or is BE getting confused??