cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Backup Exec 2015 V-Ray License have to be installed directly on the Hyper-V host server?

Magzy1
Level 2

Hi All,

Quick question - looking at Backup Exec 2015 V-Ray to backup a single host at a client site with multiple VMs (Windows and Linux).

For obvious reasons I'd prefer to install Backup Exec on a separate backup server rather than directly on the Hyper-V host so that in the event of a failure the VMs can be restored quickly once the Hypervisor hardware is replaced.

I can't find a definitive "Yes" as to whether all I would need is the standard (8 cores or more in this case) V-Ray license in order for this configuration to be licensed correctly.

Is the single V-Ray all I'd need or do I require additional licensing (I don't particularly need to backup the Backup server itself)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

See this comment

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/v-ray-be-15-be-aware-surprise-licencing-change#comment-11231781

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

You install the V-RAY license on the media server, not the host unless it in turn runs Backup Exec.

The license unlocks the functionality needed to backup the VMs and see them on Hyper-V.

V-RAY licensing is detailed below:

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH229205.html

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Note that the V-Ray license is licensed on a per occupied socket basis, so if you have more than one occupied socket on your host then you need more than 1 V-Ray licence. The ability to backup your media server is included in the V-Ray licence so you can use another physical machine for your media without further licences

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The ability to backup your media server is included in the V-Ray licence so you can use another physical machine for your media without further licences

Not true with BE 15 V-Ray Edition. Verbatim from the licensing guide -

Each V-Ray Edition license includes:

~ 1 Backup Exec Server * (does not include Agent for Windows to protect the local physical Backup Exec Server like a la carte licensing.  Must purchase an Agent for Windows separately to protect the Backup Exec Server)

~ 1 Agent for VMware & Hyper-V (includes unlimited deployment of Agent for Windows or Agent for Linux –restricted only for use in VMware & Hyper-V virtual machines only)

~ Unlimited deployment of Agent for Applications and Databases – restricted only for use in VMware & Hyper-V virtual machines only

~ Deduplication Option*

To fully protect a VMware or Hyper-V cluster, a license is required for each socket of each node of the cluster, as well as a license for each socket on the virtual file server.

*The Backup Exec Server and Deduplication Option included can be used for physical environments.  Customer is required to purchase the appropriate agents and options from a la carte to protect any physical systems.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

See this comment

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/v-ray-be-15-be-aware-surprise-licencing-change#comment-11231781

Magzy1
Level 2

Further to this issue - I am getting the following error in the backup logs:

Job ended: Wednesday, August 26, 2015 at 10:06:31 AM

Completed status: Failed Final error: 0xe00094a1 - The trial period for Backup Exec or for an agent or option has expired.

You must enter the serial number to continue. Final error category: Job Errors

I have the V-RAY installed on the Backup server and am backing up the separate Hypervisor.
The Hypervisor (Windows Hyper-V) has the agent installed and the Windows VMs also have agents installed. I have set the backup so that the only items being backed up are the VMs thmeselves.

Is there any way to get more informative information on which license is failing?