cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Backup Exec Dump SQL Server Backups to disk first?

mderobio
Not applicable

Over the weekend I was surprised to discover that Backup Exec was dumping our SQL Server databases.  What led me to this discovery was that we were out of space on the C drive on the production server.  This is bad.  

It looks as if BE dumps to disk first and then moves those dumps to tape.  Is this the case?  Since I already had another script doing database backups (but not to the C drive !!!), it's now not 100% clear what is doing what and why.  I'm not sure how BE works but I do not see any backup devices defined in SQL Server so I have concluded that it must dump to disk first.  But then I cannot see where I could change that behavior, maybe to dump to another drive.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

We only use an actual DUMP process for our own SQL express instance as part of maintenance of the BEDB

The backup process uses VSS (and I guess an API call into the SQL backup process)

It is possible if you can recnfigure the operating system or filesystem so that VSS requests get stored on a different volume that this might solve your issue

However that said, mainly for performance reasons, Microsoft do not recommend running SQL databases on the C: drive anyway so if this is what you have done you might want to relocate your SQL databases to a different volume

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

We only use an actual DUMP process for our own SQL express instance as part of maintenance of the BEDB

The backup process uses VSS (and I guess an API call into the SQL backup process)

It is possible if you can recnfigure the operating system or filesystem so that VSS requests get stored on a different volume that this might solve your issue

However that said, mainly for performance reasons, Microsoft do not recommend running SQL databases on the C: drive anyway so if this is what you have done you might want to relocate your SQL databases to a different volume