cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does deleting a tape remove its associated catalog files?

Chris-G
Level 2

I recently upgraded my tape drives from LTO5 to LTO7. Since I can't reuse the LTO5 tapes, as the data on them expires I want to retire and then delete them from the BE console. I know this will delete them from the database, and that each tape's backup sets will be removed from the admin console.

My question is, will deleting a tape also remove its associated XML and FH catalog files from the catalog folder? My catalog is quite large as it is so this would be greatly desired. I'd rather not have to put each tape in the library and erase it manually, I have a separate device that I'll use to magentically destroy the actual data on the tapes (there's a lot of them).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If when you say that you delete a tape, you mean retiring a tape, then yes.  This will remove all backup sets from the console and their associated catalog files.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If when you say that you delete a tape, you mean retiring a tape, then yes.  This will remove all backup sets from the console and their associated catalog files.

Great! I'm actually retiring the tapes and then deleting them, but if simply retiring the tapes removes their catalog files then I am happy.