cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does my Restore Speed seem OK?

sammyc53
Level 5
Mostly files, normal size. I am doing restores, not backups.

I am getting around 600MB/min. It's been a while, but the last time I did a recovery test at an actual recovery data center with real server, I could have swore I was getting around 1500MB/min. (I am in a lab now...)

For todays tests, I am using a gigibit network, Media Server on a laptop with the BE media files on a SATA Drive external drive connected to the laptop. Destination/host is a vmware guest on a powerful server.

Just wondering if anybody was looking to share their experiences, insight, or advice.

Thanks in advance!

Sam
4 REPLIES 4

Wes_Miller
Level 4
you are right on. 600 is good for you description. I backup 23 servers. Some SQL some Exchnage and the rest are flat file DBs or file servers. I do see spike of 1100 to 1500 but 500 to 800 on normal stuff espcially a laptop is norm.

Wes_Miller
Level 4
remember. You said off your laptop on a xternal sata drive. I am sure you sata drive is fast but the bottle neck is the interface. firewire and usb2 are around 400mbit not MByte 400mbit is around 30-50 MByte so 600 is good for that

sammyc53
Level 5
Thanks for the Tip. The drive is Actually connected via a SATA interface (PCMCIA), running at about 33 MB/s. I would think that would actually be faster?

Wes_Miller
Level 4
hey no prob.

If yuo dont mind not that anybody is a compituiion but the forum is about support and rating support. if you wouldnt mind rating as hepful or answered it helps others going through threads or searching by answered threads and so on.