cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain Controller Restore

Adam_M
Level 2
Hi

I am doing a test of my backup system. I am trying to restore a domain controller into a VMware virtual machine.  Using Backup Exec 12.5.

I have followed the steps listed in this article: http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/236240.htm

When testing the resource credentials the result is Access is denied. If I try to perform the restore job it fails with the message "The job failed with the following error: Unable to attach to a resource.  Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again"

The job log has the following message: "Final error: 0xe000848c - Unable to attach to a resource.  Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again"

The name of the server that is being restored to is the same as the original server, and it is not a member of the domain, as instructed in the knowledge base article.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Many Thanks,
Adam
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

As I understand:
1  : Performing Disaster Recovery of aDomain controller in Test environment
2  : The computer is in Workgroup

The exact issue is the Backup Exec Service Account is a Domain Account and the Local Computer is not able to authonticate the same

1  : Add the Local Administrator Account in Backup Exec and Change the Resource Credentials to the Local Admin Account

2  : Change the DNS Suffix My Computer-->Properties-->Computer Name-->Change-->More
       Check the Box "Change Primary DNS suffix when Domain Membership Changes"
        Type in the NAME of the Computer in Primary DNS Suffix.

3  : Make sure that this server is not in the production network as we are restoring it as a Domain Controller.

Please let me know the following:
1  : Is backup Exec installed on this machine?

If yes we need to make changes in configuration.

Please let me know....

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

As I understand:
1  : Performing Disaster Recovery of aDomain controller in Test environment
2  : The computer is in Workgroup

The exact issue is the Backup Exec Service Account is a Domain Account and the Local Computer is not able to authonticate the same

1  : Add the Local Administrator Account in Backup Exec and Change the Resource Credentials to the Local Admin Account

2  : Change the DNS Suffix My Computer-->Properties-->Computer Name-->Change-->More
       Check the Box "Change Primary DNS suffix when Domain Membership Changes"
        Type in the NAME of the Computer in Primary DNS Suffix.

3  : Make sure that this server is not in the production network as we are restoring it as a Domain Controller.

Please let me know the following:
1  : Is backup Exec installed on this machine?

If yes we need to make changes in configuration.

Please let me know....

Adam_M
Level 2
Hi Dev T

Thank you for your reply.

Adding the dns suffix under seemed to have got it working. I had modified the hosts file to add the suffix but it must have not been enough.

Backup Exec was installed on the machine that was being restored.

Adam