cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domino Backups BE 16

cmpaqu
Level 3

I currently am backing up a Domino server with Backup Exec 15 and have been for over a year. What happens if I upgrade to Backup Exec 16, can I restore my backups? I understand support has been discontinued for Domino, but is the functionality still there unsupported?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Typically when we discontinue support for a complete product, the ability to restore disappears as well, because we remove the options relating to that product from the interfaces (if we remove support for an older version of something but still support a newer version then we can sometimes still give a restore option, but Domino is complete EOS against BE ) - As such you should probably mothball your BE 15 server (or if still running Domino continue to use it but only for Domino backups) and build a separate BE 16 server to handle eveything else going forwards.

What CraigV has suggested might be true - but you would have to check that method yourself (by setting up your own tests) as we do not test what options are available for you for the scenario you have asked about. It is potentially unliklely any forum contributors (that are not Veritas  staff) have tested such scenarios either.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
BE 16 will restore BE 15 data. It is backwards compatible and this can be verified on the BE 16 SCL to see which versions it will restore. However, if support for Lotus Notes has been discontinued in BE 16, then you might only be able to restore the flat files...BE 16 would have no knowledge of what those files are, or what application they're for. This would mean some other sort of method to restore data from them once restored to disk. Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Typically when we discontinue support for a complete product, the ability to restore disappears as well, because we remove the options relating to that product from the interfaces (if we remove support for an older version of something but still support a newer version then we can sometimes still give a restore option, but Domino is complete EOS against BE ) - As such you should probably mothball your BE 15 server (or if still running Domino continue to use it but only for Domino backups) and build a separate BE 16 server to handle eveything else going forwards.

What CraigV has suggested might be true - but you would have to check that method yourself (by setting up your own tests) as we do not test what options are available for you for the scenario you have asked about. It is potentially unliklely any forum contributors (that are not Veritas  staff) have tested such scenarios either.

The ability to do any types of backups or restores of Domino resources was removed from BE 16.  You may be able to see the Domino backup sets in restore selections but attempting to restore will give "Backup and restore operations for Domino are not supported by this version of backup exec”.

Russ

It's really sad support for it has been discontinued.

A lot of companies still run Domino and would need to move to another backup product including myself.

No way to see support back for it in a feature pack?

(really, really sad as BE 15 was finally becoming a stable product after all FP and after the BE 2012 Disaster)

Unfortunately it won't be back - all Domino agent functionality has been removed.

Russ

That is so Sad.  I just renewed my license and we are only a Domino shop.  I guess we won't be upgrading to 16.  IBM announced they are sill adding features to Domino until 2021.  WHY would Veritas choose to do this?  Crazy and foolhardy.