cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don´t append data

francotel
Level 1

I want to add data but I get an error that can not do it, the job wants to override.

tape: is in tape drive (with data with the same media set)

media set: keep data infinitely 

please your help

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Is it also a common cause for switching from 'Append' to 'Overwrite' if a job (D2D2T) recognises an empty drive or a wrong tape? And is there any technical reason for that behaviour? The Job didn't write anything to the wrong or missing tape.

I'm planning to using BE 16 with a single tape drive (still in trial period) and occasionally it might happen that one forgets to insert a tape or change the tape from last backup.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

An empty tape drive or a "forgotten" tape does not cause the job to switch over to overwrite mode.  In cases like these, the switch is due to the expiry of the append period.

Read the admin guide to understand the append period better.

Hello pkh,

Thanks for your reply. I actually read the admin guide. After cancelling the job which required an overwritable tape I started the job again it accepted the same tape.

Exact test procedure:

- created a small backup job with storage option 'Append/Overwrite' and a destination media set which included an appendable tape

- run the job twice with the appendable tape in the drive: backups are appended

- start the job without media in drive: overwritable media is requested, same tape from initial test is not accepted - job cancelled

- start the job again with the same tape in the drive: backup is appended again.

So the append period of the tape was not expired (the storage details of the used tape also showed that it should have been appendable).

Tests done with Backup Exec 16.0 Rev 1142.1327 (downloaded last week).

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When BE cannot find an appendable tape (e.g. no tape in tape drive), based on your job option, it will switch over to the overwrite mode.  

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

That is expected behaviour - once an active job switches to overwrite mode because no appendable tape was available at the start of the job,  the active job will not switch back to append mode and is why the insert notification message that you receive specifically asks for overwritable media to be inserted (with no mention of appendable)

If you cancel the active job and then run the job again with an appendable tape available yes it will append as it is different instance of the same job and as such will try to find an appendable tape first.