cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drive Error - Duplicate key or index

PACU2017
Level 3

I need some help with the following message:

Backup Exec attempted to automatically reconfigure the newly discovered disk storage device for use, but the reconfiguration failed with the following error:

Physical Volume Library Database - duplicate key or index.

We were trying to reconnect and external drive to run a catalog and backup some more data to it. Windows Recognizes the device bur we cannot seem to be able to put it back online.

We are running Symantec Backup Exec 2012 V14.0 Rev 1798

Any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

PACU2017
Level 3

Jus wanted to tell you guys how I got a work around to get BE to recognize the drives back.

• You need to edit the BESCF.xml file. The file is located in the BEControl folder. This folder is hidden so you need to make sure you can see all hidden files in order for you to view the folder and edit the file
  • External drive needs to point to E drive. In my case the main drive we were using to back the data to was the E drive so I made sure to have the external drive point to this drive
  • The BESCF.xml file is read only. You need to remove it to be able to update the file
  • Make a copy of the file just in case you need to restore it back
  • Edit the following information on the file
    • Edit the file and change isDelete from 1 to 0 (zero)
    • Add the following to the dataPaths section<path id=” “>\BEData\</path>. It should look like this...

<dataPaths> 

<path id=” “>\BEData\</path> 

</dataPaths>

• Now copy the information inside the <containerGuid> into the “ “ in the path id section of dataPaths.
  • Save the file and change the file properties to read only.
  • Un-plug and plug the drive back in. If BE doesn’t recognize it you might have to create a new drive in BE and test the connection.

Hope this helps someone out there having the same issue.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Thanks Craig. This doesn't relly help me.

How do we go about deleting records in the DB?

Here is more info related to this issue...

When we plug in the external drive Windows is able to read it but we don't see it on BE. So, I tried to configure the device and I am able to see the device under Storage but it never fully configures. This is the message I get:

The job failed with the following error: Backup Exec is unable to create a backup-to-disk folder on the disk storage device. See the Job Log for details.

Any ideas on how to get this fix?

PACU2017
Level 3

OK. I was able to fixed this issue. Now, how do I go about closing this question?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Post how you solve your problem and then click on the Accept as Solution button.

PACU2017
Level 3

Jus wanted to tell you guys how I got a work around to get BE to recognize the drives back.

• You need to edit the BESCF.xml file. The file is located in the BEControl folder. This folder is hidden so you need to make sure you can see all hidden files in order for you to view the folder and edit the file
  • External drive needs to point to E drive. In my case the main drive we were using to back the data to was the E drive so I made sure to have the external drive point to this drive
  • The BESCF.xml file is read only. You need to remove it to be able to update the file
  • Make a copy of the file just in case you need to restore it back
  • Edit the following information on the file
    • Edit the file and change isDelete from 1 to 0 (zero)
    • Add the following to the dataPaths section<path id=” “>\BEData\</path>. It should look like this...

<dataPaths> 

<path id=” “>\BEData\</path> 

</dataPaths>

• Now copy the information inside the <containerGuid> into the “ “ in the path id section of dataPaths.
  • Save the file and change the file properties to read only.
  • Un-plug and plug the drive back in. If BE doesn’t recognize it you might have to create a new drive in BE and test the connection.

Hope this helps someone out there having the same issue.