Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate Job Fails With B2D Data As Input

saberman
Level 4

Windows XP SP3 With all Patches

Backup Exec 9.1 with all service packs

I created a B2D device and then setup a series of backup jobs to do a full backup the 1st of the month, an incremental backup daily and a fuller incremental backup the last day of the month.

The jobs ran for the month of December.  Unfortuanately, I set the maximum file size to 100GB and the december run topped out at 97GB.

I then setup a duplicate to disk job to take the 97GB file as input and output to a B2D device with a 50 GB maximum so I could then back up the files to a Blue-Ray DL without having to span disks.

When I ran the duplicate to disk job it failed after 21GB with a error message saying "Catalog query for next media failed."  Now the first backup set in the file was only 63 MB.  The second one was 34GB according to the backup job that created it.  21GB would have been about 2/3 through the second backup set.

I tried run a catolog job against the media but it ended almost immediately saying it was successful but show 0 for number of files, bytes, etc.

I am able to restore the files in the first two backup sets for a total of about 34GB so the backup file appears to be alright.  Why can't I run a duplicate to disk job from it?

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi saberman,

Take a look at the TN below. It addresses this error in 9.x and 10.x

Please post back and let me know if this helped your issue.

Thanks,

Craig

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH38727

saberman
Level 4

Sorry to take so long to get back but, despite being subscribed to the thread, I did not get an email notice of your response.

The article you provided the link for only applies to Automatic Duplicate -- from the article:

There are two ways to create a duplicate backup job:

1. Duplicate backup data with the option to duplicate existing backup sets.
2. Duplicate (Automatic) backup sets immediately following a scheduled backup job.

This issue only affects the second option that is "Duplicate (Automatic) backup sets immediately following a scheduled backup job".

It does not apply to the situation I posted about as:
1. My job is setup as (1) not (2). 
2. The registry entry referred to in the article is in the Tape Format section and I am doing a duplicate to disk from a B2D set -- no tape is involved. 
3. The register entry happens to already be set to 1 which is the suggested fix in the article.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...escalated to support for you!