cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate Job without Backup Job

ejdrijin
Level 4

Hi,

is it possible to create a backup to tape job only without creating a disk to disk backup?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You can backup directly to tape - but this is not called a duplicate job, it is just a backup to tape.

Be aware though that advanced concepts relating to granular recovery (GRT) still need disk space to do a restore so you still need lots of disk storage attached to your media server (unless you are only worried about full DR restores.) and your media server cannot be virtualized to go to tape.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Colin_Weaver

You can backup directly to tape - but this is not called a duplicate job, it is just a backup to tape.

Be aware though that advanced concepts relating to granular recovery (GRT) still need disk space to do a restore so you still need lots of disk storage attached to your media server (unless you are only worried about full DR restores.) and your media server cannot be virtualized to go to tape.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Unable to Understand your question Could elobrate Please ?

You can do the Following 

1. You create a duplicate backup from Disk to Tape

2. You can create Duplicate backup from Tape to Tape.

3. You can also duplicate from Tape to Disk

If you want to create Duplicate from Tape to Tape You need to have min two Tape Drives..

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...the question simply is: Can I backup directly to tape. The simple answer would be: Yes.

Colin answered it quite efficiently.

Thanks!

ejdrijin
Level 4

Thanks for your replies. I managed to create one.

Yes I asked this becuase of a full DR restores. 

Something else regarding the full DR restore. If I want to recover a server do I have to select all folders in the C: (system drive)? Can I exclude for example 3 folders from the selection lists or all folders need to be selected for the .DR file to be created?

Thanks & Regards.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Well system drive and the System state should be the part of your backup job. You can exclude the folders which you think contains files which would not be required and try DR in your Lab using the Backup.

Colin_Weaver

For BE 2012, if you deselect items on C: then SDR will not be available (and the green indicator status in the selections will be off). You should still be able to do forms of a manual DR process where you install a basic operating system with BE components first and then restore over it, howevetr this can be time consuming and complicated.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can exclude the folders which you think contains files which would not be required

When you exclude folders, SDR will not work.

ejdrijin
Level 4

I need to know in a Backup Exec 2010 R3 environment.  The normal IDR option and not SDR.

Thanks.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

IDR, now named as SDR .

ejdrijin
Level 4

Yes, but I do not have Backup Exec 2012.

PKH said:  

"You can exclude the folders which you think contains files which would not be required

When you exclude folders, SDR will not work."

Does this applies also for the IDR option in Backup Exec 2010 R3?

Thanks.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Check the following link 

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO23844

Have you taken any backup using the IDR wizard ? 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Unlike SDR, IDR does not check whether you have excluded any directory from your backup.  If you accidently excluded some important directories, you can still IDR to restore your server.  However, your server may not boot up because of the missing directories.  You would also not be able to recover your server manually because of these same missing directores.

ejdrijin
Level 4

Thanks for your help.