cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate Jobs: Server Not Available

brgarber
Level 2

Been having a lot of problems with my Backup Exec. First, we had to replace a drive in the tape library. Backup jobs were failing because the new drive was not being utilized. Called Tech support. easy fix: New drive was not listed in the Resource pools.  Added the new drive to both resource pools, then jobs ran to it okay. Problem is that since then, my duplicate jobs will not run at all. I've tried creating new jobs, repointing existing jobs to a different media set, etc. I always get the error that the backup exec server is not available.  The media never atemps to load. As soon as the inital job finishes, it goes straight to the error status.However, the initial job runs fine. I've been working on this with Tech Supprt for over 2 weeks now with no resolution in sight. Tech keeps doing the same thing over and over. It's so frustrating. 

I understand the concepts that the duplicate job runs directly from the initial job.  So, it is basically copying data from one tape to the other, vice from the server to the tape. But what is different that the initial job is able to communicate with the server with no problem, but the duplicate job cannot?  Thanks for any help. 

3 REPLIES 3

brgarber
Level 2

Just a note: There are no other backup jobs running. I have confirmed that there are drives available and tapes available for the job to copy to. 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) Go to the BE console and delete all occurances of both the old and the new tape drives and tape libraries

2) Stop the media server and the library

3) Start the tape library

4) Start the media server

5) Ensure that the library and tape drive is recognised and functioning correctly in the Windows Device Manager. The library should appear as an Unknown Medium Changer with a Microsoft driver and the tape drive should have a Symantec/Veritas driver.

6) Target your jobs to some other device, save it and then target it to the tape library again.

8) Try again. If your duplicate jobs failed again, try re-defining them.

I have tried all of that with the same results. We created a drive, and ran the initial job to the drive, then duplicate to tape. Created new jobs, modified existing and pointed to each partition. Each time, I receive a message that the server is not available or no idle devices, even though all drives are available.  

I also deleted and re-created the duplicate job. As well as delete the drives and partitions and re-add them.