cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate Jobs

pfoni
Level 3

Hi, I have a question that might not be easy to explain but I'll give it a try. I have some tapes from specific media sets that are shortly used because the backups spreaded amongst them and I would like to free some of those tapes by creating duplicate jobs that would concentrate the backup sets on only a few tapes. My question is, if I duplicate a media set that is spreaded across two tapes into another one, will it copy only the backup set I chose from a specific tape or will it copy the begining of that backup set that was written in another tape too? Because if that happens, I'll end up having duplicate data and I don't want that, I just want to free som tapes that have little data written on them, like the end of a backup set,  so I can use them on other media sets I have for new backups. Hope I made myself clear.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
No. You cannot do this with BE. When you duplicate a backup set, the entire backup set will be copied. There is no way to copy part of a backup set.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The duplicate job will only copy the data from the backup set that you have selected.

kf2013
   VIP   

The duplication job will duplicate only the backup set you have selected in the job, so it won't waste your tape.

Yes, but in my case my backup set is divided between two tapes, because the backup job started using one tape and then ended up in the other. So my doubt is: will it copy all of the backup set (backup data from both tapes) or just the entries I select from the last tape (the one that has the end of the backup set for the backup job)? Thanks.

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

If a X backup set spanned from Tape 1 to Tape 2, and you selected this set to duplicate to Tape 3. Then only this X set will be duplicated to destination Tape. It should mount each tape and then copy the set on Tape 3. I hope this answers your questions. 

Yes, but will it copy the entire X set (spanned across the two tapes) or just the part I select from one of the tapes? What I have is this: Beginning of Set X on tape 1, Ending of Set X on tape 2; I want to copy End of Set X on tape 2 to tape 3, without copying the Beginning of Set X on tape 1. Then, hopefully, I'll have Beginning of Set X on tape 1 and Ending of Set X on tape 3, so I can erase tape 2 safely. Does it make sense? Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
No. You cannot do this with BE. When you duplicate a backup set, the entire backup set will be copied. There is no way to copy part of a backup set.