cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate and eject backup for offsite storage v12D

iwonder
Level 3
Hello,
I am trying to configure Backup Exec 12D for Windows Servers (2003) to create a duplicate tape each week after a full backup which ejects automatically so that we can take the tape Monday morning and store it somewhere offsite.

I have been trying to use the option "duplicate" in the backup strategy but each time the job "duplicate" starts, I get status "loading tape", but nothing happens for hours so I have to cancel the job.

Do you guys have any suggestions as to how I could set this up?

Thanks!

Steve
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Steve_W_
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Unfortunately you will not be able to duplicate tape to tape.  To be able to do this you would need to either backup to disk first and then duplicate it to tape twice, or backup to tape then duplicate it to disk and then duplicate the disk to tape.  Another option would be to add a second Tape drive to your library. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Steve_W_
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Is this a library?  If so how many drives does it have?

iwonder
Level 3
It's a Quantum Superloader 3 with one drive and 16 slots...
Thanks for your help!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

is the original job B2D or B2T?

iwonder
Level 3
B2T

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

I don't think that BackupExec can duplicate Tape to Tape if only one tape drive is available

(or did I mis-read your posts?)

iwonder
Level 3
I see. What I wanted to do is actually duplicate my backup that just completed on a separate cartridge so I could store it off-site. Is there a way to accomplish this task?

Steve_W_
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Unfortunately you will not be able to duplicate tape to tape.  To be able to do this you would need to either backup to disk first and then duplicate it to tape twice, or backup to tape then duplicate it to disk and then duplicate the disk to tape.  Another option would be to add a second Tape drive to your library. 

iwonder
Level 3
I see. thanks for your help!