Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate backup sets from Dedup Disk Storage to Tape

miladin
Level 2

Hello,

I have following setup:

Physical server with BE MEDIA installed.

Virtual server/machine with BE CASO installed.

Deduplication Disk Storage is attached to virtual machine (CASO server), and shared with Media server.

Tape library is attached to physical server (Media server).

Is it posible to somehow perform backup of virtual machines with CASO server using hot add mode and store backup to dedup disk storage, and after that duplicate those backup sets from dedup disk storage to tape attached to media server?

Regards,

Miladin

1 REPLY 1

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

Option 1)

cant use hotadd to Backup BE VM that is running the virtual backup of itself. You can take a local backup to dedupe folder. create a dedupe folder on MBES (physical server) also. Share that (MBES dedupe) with the dedupe folder on CAS. Then you can duplicate the backup set to Dedupe folder on MBES and create another stage in backup job to duplicate from the MBES dedupe folder to locally attached tape library on MBES.

Reasons - 

1) If you select the BE server as a VM selection and try to back itself up using hotadd. It will give an error hence recommeding to take a local server backup of resources (i.e. select the C drive , system state etc. resources )

2) A dedupe folder is recommended on MBES because if the duplicate job will be run w/o it, it will be run on the CAS (VM) and I am assuming the tape library is not shared with the CAS. In this situation the duplicate job will sit saying it does not have access to the device. So, if you have a dedupe folder configured on MBES (physical server) and shared with CAS dedupe folder, then the duplicate can run between them and then you can duplicate from the MBES (Physical server) Dedupe folder to Tape Library in the same Backup Job definition.

Option 2)

Create a dedupe folder on Physical machine. Take a backup of CAS Virtual Machine using san,nbd etc. and then duplicate to Tape. The backup job can be created on MBES. If you want to keep a copy on VM Dedupe. You can share the CAS Dedupe with MBES (physical server) and second or third stage can be run to this dedupe.

If you have any queries more queries you can open a support case.