cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate backup to tape failed with error 0xe0000602

kha
Level 4

I got 6 monthly backup jobs scheduled to run on the weekend, they backup to the same tape.  One ran successfully to tape.  

The rest failed with below error.  For those 5 failed jobs, the elapsed time showed they ran for at least 7 minutes, at least 119 MB bye count before failed, percent complete shows 0% for all 5 jobs.

Job ended: Saturday, February 07, 2015 at 6:10:57 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0000602 - A query for media on which the data set being read is continued was unsuccessful. Ensure that all media in the family have been inventoried and cataloged.
Final error category: Backup Media Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-1538

I cataloged the tape successfully. Then clicked on the failed job, chose "run now" (don't know why it doesn't have "retry" option).  Then the new job that I choose "run now" says "skipped" for status immediately.  I tried "verified" the failed job, it completed successfully.

Not sure how I should understand this situation.  Looks like the data were backed up but the % complete says 0, and status failed.

5 REPLIES 5

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Is the Duplicate set to run on a schedule or immediately once the source job completes ?

If scheduled, are the original backup sets present for the Duplicate to run successfully ?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

How long did you set the OPP to?  If it is too short, the initial tapes in the series may have been overwitten during the job.

kha
Level 4

Monthly Duplicate jobs are scheduled to duplicate of the monthly full backups after they are completed successfully.

Full backup jobs scheduled to run in the morning (AM)

Duplicate backup jobs scheduled to run in the PM

So, the Full back Duplicate are at least 2hrs apart from each other.

The 5 monthly duplicate job failed to run on 2/7/15

I found out:

1. I cataloged the tape as the error suggests
  2. 2/10/2015 - Right clicked on the relevant monthly full backup job which was completed, choose Duplicate and chose the same tape that it failed before (also the one i cataloged above).  This duplicate ran successfully.  So, I repeated the same for the rest of 4 duplicate jobs.
  3. I opened the backup tape that I cataloged above, navigate to see backup sets.  The duplicate backup that I ran on #2 had "backup time" exactly the same with the "failed" backups (2/7/15) and expiration date 2/10/2016 (which is correct as it's under the media set that is set to overwrite protection for 1yr)
  4. I contacted Symantec support about the backup time shows as 2/7/15 while I ran the job on 2/10/15, he said he sees the same on his lab and that is more of the GUI problem.  As long as the backup expiration date is correct, then I shouldn't have problem in this case.  In fact it can be a problem if we need to retrieve the tape 1yr from now or so to restore data, we will think it backed up on the 2/7/15 instead of 2/10/15

They still cannot explain why the 1st duplicate job ran to the tape successfully and the rest failed and it asked to catalog the tape.  If it needs to be cataloged, i assume 1st job would failed to write to the tape as well....

kha
Level 4

VJware,

Monthly Duplicate jobs are scheduled to duplicate of the monthly full backups after they are completed successfully.

Full backup jobs scheduled to run in the morning (AM)

Duplicate backup jobs scheduled to run in the PM

So, the Full back Duplicate are at least 2hrs apart from each other.

The 5 monthly duplicate job failed to run on 2/7/15

I found out:

1. I cataloged the tape as the error suggests
  2. 2/10/2015 - Right clicked on the relevant monthly full backup job which was completed, choose Duplicate and chose the same tape that it failed before (also the one i cataloged above).  This duplicate ran successfully.  So, I repeated the same for the rest of 4 duplicate jobs.
  3. I opened the backup tape that I cataloged above, navigate to see backup sets.  The duplicate backup that I ran on #2 had "backup time" exactly the same with the "failed" backups (2/7/15) and expiration date 2/10/2016 (which is correct as it's under the media set that is set to overwrite protection for 1yr)
  4. I contacted Symantec support about the backup time shows as 2/7/15 while I ran the job on 2/10/15, he said he sees the same on his lab and that is more of the GUI problem.  As long as the backup expiration date is correct, then I shouldn't have problem in this case.  In fact it can be a problem if we need to retrieve the tape 1yr from now or so to restore data, we will think it backed up on the 2/7/15 instead of 2/10/15

They still cannot explain why the 1st duplicate job ran to the tape successfully and the rest failed and it asked to catalog the tape.  If it needs to be cataloged, i assume 1st job would failed to write to the tape as well....

kha
Level 4

tape in the Monthly Duplicate media set, overwrite protection = 1yr, appendable = 5 days