cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate from dedupe device to cloud?

JRV2
Level 4

A client is running BE16 FP1, has a dedupe device, and wants me to investigate cloud DR backups. 

Is it possible to duplicate dedupe backups to cloud storage without rehydrating?

TIA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

DavidEF
Level 3
Employee

The data would rehydrate when duplicating to the cloud in FP1. We are working on dedupe to cloud for a future release in the 2nd half of the year.

Send me a private message if interested in participating in that release's Tech Preview scheduled for late June.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

DavidEF
Level 3
Employee

The data would rehydrate when duplicating to the cloud in FP1. We are working on dedupe to cloud for a future release in the 2nd half of the year.

Send me a private message if interested in participating in that release's Tech Preview scheduled for late June.

Hi David, thanks for your reply.

Interesting; that could be worth waiting for. Is it backup to dedupe and then duplicate dedupe to cloud, or backup direct to cloud, with deduplication?

Thanks for the TP invitation; a few years ago I might have taken you up on that, but probably have to pass on it unless my employer is interested in setting it up on a lab system.

DavidEF
Level 3
Employee

This is backup/dedupe direct to cloud. We're pretty excited about it. We'll definitely be posting here as soon as we release.

I understand about the TP. Let me know if anything changes.

Hmmm...

A lot less compelling when it's not duplicating the existing dedupe backup to cloud storage. Since we don't want to do verifies with cloud backups to keep costs down, it's risky not to have a local staged copy that we can verify. And our backup window is already too large...adding another big backup is a big problem.

Might need to rethink this.

DavidEF
Level 3
Employee

Then I should have mentioned that you'll have the option of doing just what you described with the planned release. You'll be able to backup to local dedupe storage, then duplicate (opt-dup) to cloud dedupe storage. 

Sorry I left that out originally. ;)

Outstanding. Will be watching for that to be released. Thanks!