cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate job fails

Delvin_Paul
Level 3
Hi,

We are using backup exec 10.0.5520 SP1 on Windows 2000 systems. We are using a policy inwhich the backup is taken to disk first and later there is scheduled jobs to take duplicates to the tapes.
Problem is duplicate job fails with the following error "Final error: 0xe0009444 - The requested source duplicate backup sets catalog record could not be found. Perhaps the media containing the source backup sets was previously deleted" and we have to run the job manually. We are not deleting the media that is the backup to disk folder. Don't know why this error keeps coming..please help
13 REPLIES 13

Nelson_Kaeppel
Level 3
Hello there,

I struggled with this for a while. Here is what I discovered:

If you have a duplication that fails, the next time your duplication runs it trys to get that nights back up plus the one that failed the night before (so it trys to dup two nights worth of backup - a good idea on Veritas' part assuming you have enough tape space to dup two+ nights of data). If you have a very small retention window for your backup-to-disk media set such that it gets overwritten right-away, the duplication job cannot find the media for the previous night(s) and hence fails with the error you are describing.

This is normally not a problem because most people keep more than a few days of backup-to-desk. But if your dup job fails two or three nights is a row (say your tape operator is on vacation or sick and there is no one on site to pop in a new tape each day) , it keeps trying to back up all the sets that is has missed (2 then 3 then 4 etc.) and eventually hits a day where the backup-to-disk has already be overwritten/erased and generates this error.

I have been told Veritas is going to fix this in a future release. In the mean time, I have found deleting both the back-to-disk and dup jobs and then recreating them clears out this counter and tells the dup job to backup just that nights backup.

Clear as mud?
Nelson

Delvin_Paul
Level 3
Thank you Nelson....

Since my policy contains overwrite protection period if one job fails I have to clean the media to overcome the overwrite protection period.......

Hopes the veritas techies have some more to say.....

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

Please refer this technote:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/278589

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Delvin_Paul
Level 3
Hi,

Sorry I forgot to mention. The tech note you specified is the first one I reffered when this error occured. But the error keeps coming again and again..Now I have made new policy and Backup to disk folders etc..Waiting to see what happens..

thank you

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello Paul,

Do update us the result after recreating the policy.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Delvin_Paul
Level 3
Hi,

Still the same. Getting the same error for duplicate of weekly full backup. Eventhough first 3 or 4 duplicates worked fine.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Hello,

Make sure that you have selected the specific source and destination device.

Are you duplicating the backup jobs from b2d to tape?

If yes, then have you cataloged the b2d before?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Delvin_Paul
Level 3
Hi,

Yes I am using b2d and duplicating from b2d to tape.
I have cataloged the folder once. Do I have to do it every time?..I mean if so I will have to schedule the job for catalog also..I don't think so.
Waiting to hear a solution.

thank you

steven_Koon
Not applicable
Hi,

I am also getting the same error for my B2D2T policy. The whole jobs will run fine for some days and then the error start for the duplicate job. But I can see that the backup to disk job has been correctly write to the catalog as i can see them when I go to restore

Do let me know if anyone has the resolution to it (short of having to recreate the duplicate template in the policy)

Thanks

Ben_Farmer
Level 2
Is there a way to get out of this cycle? I have encountered a similar situation where a dup fails and the next dup is nearly twice as big as it should be. In my case my dup is done weekly and it is over 600GB. When it does this double-size behavior it runs through all of the tapes in my autoloader and throws off my tape rotation.

Is there a way to prevent this behavior?

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Hello,

It is recommended to catalog the b2d before duplicating since you are getting an error related to catalog.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Delvin_Paul
Level 3
Hi,

I would like to know how I am supposed to be do a schedule for catalog job!!. The files are not there before running the b2d job. I am rewriting the files everytime. And it is not so practical for doing schedule job for cataloging around 50 files of 100GB data. If you mean the inventory of the b2d it is fine. I already tried that and failed.

Waiting to hear more.

thank you

paro
Level 3
Partner
Hi.

I'm having the same issue and I'm struggling to get a solution working...

...is it only me or does anyone feel having a conversation with the veritas supports staff sometimes reminds of talking to a wall.

//Patrik