cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate of duplicate of B2D

Robert_Spanell
Level 3
I have an external backup drive that contains a duplicate job run off a B2D job, both done using Backup Exec 2010. I now need to connect the drive to a second server and duplicate it again onto tape. I am using Backup Exec 12.5 for this final step, but I can't for the life of me figure out a procedure to do it, or to even be sure it can be done. I would prefer to back up directly from the external to the tape, as space is an issue. But if there is no other way I might be able to find room to copy it to a local drive (if that would even help). My research has turned up nothing useful. I could really use some help on this one. Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Assuming there aren't compatibility issues with trying to detect the data written in BE 2010, this is what you would do:

1. Under Devices in BE, add a new B2D and make it the path of your B2D on the external drive.

2. Inventory, then Catalog the media.

3. Make sure it shows up in BE (media).

4. Create the duplicate job to duplicate your B2D files from this new B2D folder to tape.

Why not upgrade to BE 2010 on the media server running 12.5? This takes care of any incompatibilities you might face. The procedure to duplicate is also exactly the same.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV

Hi,

Assuming there aren't compatibility issues with trying to detect the data written in BE 2010, this is what you would do:

1. Under Devices in BE, add a new B2D and make it the path of your B2D on the external drive.

2. Inventory, then Catalog the media.

3. Make sure it shows up in BE (media).

4. Create the duplicate job to duplicate your B2D files from this new B2D folder to tape.

Why not upgrade to BE 2010 on the media server running 12.5? This takes care of any incompatibilities you might face. The procedure to duplicate is also exactly the same.

Thanks!

Robert_Spanell
Level 3
Thanks CraigV, I will give that a try. I was already partially along that path when I ran into problems, so I will take it again from the top and let you know how it turns out.

CraigV

Hi Robert,

No...this is the only way to enter all the information contained in the B2D files into BE's database for restore purposes.

Thanks!

Robert_Spanell
Level 3

Okay. Thanks CraigV.

Due to the enormity of the task, it might be a while before I can get it implemented. That is, if I don't decide to go with a less time-consuming approach.

Robert_Spanell
Level 3

Thanks CraigV, worked great.

Turned out not to be as big a task as I imagined.  Inventory of the first B2D file took a long time, so I had calculated that time multiplied by the number of B2D files, and it looked like it would take weeks.

However, I was unaware that it was actually doing the inventory by set, not by individual B2D file.  Subsequent inventories of B2D files comprising the same set completed in about a minute each, until a new set was encountered.

I'm still trying to figure out how to inventory 200+ B2D files without having to acknowledge each one with a mouse-click.

CraigV

...check to see if there isn't an Alert you can configure that automatically responds OK to each response...no need to do so manually anymore!

Thanks!

Robert_Spanell
Level 3

Thanks, but it's the "Run Now" button that I'm needing to click for each Catalog job.  I can mass-select the B2D files I want to catalog, then right-click and select "Catalog Media", but I can't mass-select "Run Now".

This wouldn't be an issue if there was a quick and easy way to know which B2D files I needed to catalog to ensure that I covered all the backup sets distributed across them.  For now it's faster to just click "Run Now" 200 times and let Backup Exec take the extra 3 hours or so to figure it out itself.