cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate tapes from LTO-2 to LTO-5 BackupExec 2012

dmaeztu
Level 3

Hi,

I need to copy all my data from twenty LTO2 tapes to LTO-5 tapes. I know that LTO2 is only compatible with LTO3 and LTO4, because this reason I have conected BackupExec 2012 server with two diferents libraries or devices, one of them read and write LTO2 and the other read and write LTO5 tapes.

¿Someone knows how to do this transfer of data? I heard someone about duplicate but I don't know how to do it.

Regards...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

3. I think you have to duplicate from Backup Sets. Not from job history.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I know that LTO2 is only compatible with LTO3 and LTO4,

LTO 3/LTO 4 drives can read LTO 2 tapes. As you want to duplicate data from LTO2, reading the data from those is enough. No need to have LTO 2 only..

If you have LTO 3/LTO 4 drive along with an LTO 5 drive in a single library then you can run the duplicate job within that library. 

How to duplicate existing backup sets in BE 2012: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH187271

First inventory and catalog the LTO 2 medias, to be able to see the list of backup images on them.

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Refer to LTO compatibility chart

http://knowledgebase.tolisgroup.com/?View=entry&EntryID=178

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you duplicate your LTO2 tapes to LTO5 tapes, your first job should specify overwrite and the subsequent jobs to specify append.  This is so that you can pack a few LTO2 tapes onto one LTO5 tape.

dmaeztu
Level 3

Is going to be a tedious job because I have at least 50 tapes, and Backup Exec 2012 split all jobs by server instead by jobs with its selection lists. 

I have two diferents libraries, both are conected with Backup Exec 2012 server:

- one with one LTO2 drive
- one with two LTO5 drives

So steps are:

1. Insert old tapes in LTO2 library.
2. Invent and catalog all tapes.
3. Go to Jobs history, select jobs and duplicate over LTO5 tapes.
4. As "pkh" says, to specify overwrite in the first copy and the subsequent jobs to specify append. I hope to pack 7 LTO2 tapes (200 GB) onto one LTO5 (1,5 TB).

Can you confirm that I am rigth?

Thanks again .....

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

3. I think you have to duplicate from Backup Sets. Not from job history.

dmaeztu
Level 3

Yes Kiran, you are rigth, thank you.