cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate to Tape won't work with WORM

MitchR
Level 6

I have BE 2014 (14.1), and a number of backup to DeDupe jobs.  Those run fine. I want to duplicate those dedupe backups to tape.  (in other words, I'm doing B2D2T)

When I load the library with WORM media, with proper WORM labels, BE keeps alerting with "Please insert overwritable media".

If I give it normal LTO tapes, the job runs fine.  It refuses to see WORM media as a valid scratch tape.

I've noticed that normal backup to tape jobs have the option "Use WORM media", but the Duplicate to tape doesn's show that option.

What gives? How to I duplicate to WORM?

BE-WORM.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

I seem to recall some issue where the WORM option wasn't available if you were trying to target a specific tape drive that didn't support WORM.  Since you are using library partitions, it may be a similar situation.  If you change the duplicate phase to use a storage pool instead of a specific partition, do you then get the WORM option visible?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

I seem to recall some issue where the WORM option wasn't available if you were trying to target a specific tape drive that didn't support WORM.  Since you are using library partitions, it may be a similar situation.  If you change the duplicate phase to use a storage pool instead of a specific partition, do you then get the WORM option visible?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) I may be mistaken, but I remember that you cannot append to a WORM tape.  Have you tried specifying overwrite in your job, rather than append, and using a fresh WORM tape?

2) If you are using barcode labels, are you using the correct format for WORM tape.  For example, for HP tape libraries, a L4 suffix specify a read/write LTO4 tape and LU indicates a LTO4 WORM tape.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

1) yes, you can append to WORM.  the OPs job would append or overwrite, depending upon what was available.

2) bar code rules may interfere with the actual job running as desired, but they should have no impact on if the WORM checkbox appears (or not) when the job is configured.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
I am not asking the use to implement barcode rules, but to make sure that WORM takes are properly identified by their barcode labels. Often people just put on a read/write label on a WORM tape

MitchR
Level 6

Lary has the winning answer. (Sorry phk, my original post shows I had already investigated both of your guesses).

For some reason, BE won't alow the WORM option if I select the library or any partition of the library.  Selecting a single tape head works, as does selecting the "Any tape cartridge storage" storage pool.

I think I've established that the "use WORM" option means "requite this job to use WORM", and not "pull a tape, WORM is one of many types allowed".  Thus using the whole library and not a partition is good enough for my purposes.

I'd still call this a bug, as the tape library should be an option to select to use WORM media.  Very confusing.